Floating deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCOTLAND YARD, Dec 10, 2003.

1. SCOTLAND YARD

SCOTLAND YARD LawnSite Member

How important is a full floating deck vs. a standard deck.
    Im on the fence to by Wright Stander or Sentar. The only real difference seems to be the floating deck. Is it worth $1000 difference?

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing I will use is a floating deck, to me it is worth every penny! There are a couple of questions to ask yourself though... What is the grass like that you are cutting? Is there a lot of bumps? Are you cutting a lot of hills?...etc..

3. SCOTLAND YARD

SCOTLAND YARD LawnSite Member

Any personal experience with the Wright Brand?
    I have heard some good results but, is it any better than Great Dane?

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I've never owned a fixed deck mower and not sure if I would want one. Seems it would do a lot of scalping on uneven turf. Also a pain to change cutting height from what I've heard. I looked at a Lesco w/b and when he showed how to change the cutting height, I said no thanks.

5. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

$1000 is, to me, a lot for a floating deck. But if you are mowing hills a lot it could be worth it.

6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

There is a big difference between the sentar and the stander.

The sentar has a floating deck, seat, two speed sensitivity settings, 10.7 gallon fuel capacity, 11 mph forward, 5mph reverse.

The stander has nothing compared to that.

I am glad I have a floating deck on my metro, I take the deck off in under a minute to scrape or change blades without having to lay down. I can change the cutting height quiker than a fixed deck and when you do adjust the heght the deck pitch stays correct.

The floating deck will also help with the bigger deck to keep from scalping.

I think the floating deck is as valuable as a hydro unit

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Worth every penny of $1000, won't scalp, and height adjustment is a lot easier. Changing out the spindle shaft spacers to change heights is a royal pain, screw that.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What size deck?
    Anything above a 36" ought to be a floating deck.