Floating or fixed decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

I am looking to purchase a new wb, i am stuck on what deck to buy, fixed or floating. If any one could help?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have had this discussion many of times..do a search and you will find out lots of information.

I think though that the overall general opinion on it was dependent on the operator & the types of property.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

anybody tired of the do a search routine?
    As I have said in the past WHY would I spend an hour of my time looking at totally unrelated bunk rather than just ask the question???

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

WHY do we want to keep on answering the same question every week after week? I have used searches many times and I have gained the most information from searches.

5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) tiedeman i think you set a record, member 7mo, lawnsite,addict LoL. Just seems funny when i registered there where only around 3000 members, anyway back to the subject King ive got both types i perfer the fixed decks, they are alot easier for me to handel plus if you know what your doing you won't be scalping, floater is nice when changing heights, but the fixed is simple to, you need to demo both types on several types of grasses then youll know how they compare...good luck on your purchase} Marks Mowing Service

6. I agree that it seems like a hassle to do a search instead of asking/answering a simple question. BUT … this topic and other basic ones like it are discussed on a regular basis. So putting all the replies where everyone can find them would be the most efficient. However, lots of times people take the topic of the thread so far away from the original topic, that it’s not even remotely relevant. I suppose it’s going to go both ways no matter what.

Anyway, from my experience, a fixed deck is less likely to scalp (both planer and edge type sclaping). The reason is that you can predict exactly what a fixed deck will do, since it’s not hanging, tilting, or bouncing. Floating decks are a whole lot easier to change the cut-height and have a much greater range.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Back to the subject and enough of this bickering and whining. Sounds like a group of hormone crazed teenage girls in a catfight...

Anyway, 36" and below, get a fixed if you're not changing cutting height that much. If you're changing height alot, go floater, much faster and easier. For a 48" get a floating, or you'll scalp way too much on an uneven lawn.

8. Floating (which are actually hanging) Decks are more likely to scalp, no matter what size.

9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There are constantly new members joining all the time. Some have different experiences and ideas. I for one like to read about topics, even though they do not directly pertain to me, and I would have never searched on them myself. This is how I expand my overall knowledge base. Think of how boring this board would be if everyone searched??? This is a discussion board, not a library.:D :D

10. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Why is that? I read your post about being able to predict when a fixed deck is going to scalp, but how do you figure a floating deck with properly adjusted anti-scalp wheels is going to scalp more than a fixed deck?