1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

floating or fixed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Dec 8, 2002.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

floating deck
    fixed deck

I'm wondering about opinions on which type of deck to get on a 48" hydro walkbehind mower. from the specs i've looked at the floating deckes are quite a bit heavier.
    but the fixed deck models sometimes have smaller tires.
    I don't change cutting hights much so that's not a big issue.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the subject. The brands currently in the running are scag, gravely, lesco, toro, hustler, and snappper.

I know I don't want a "stamped deck" so that rules out the toro and the lesco floating.

I do plan on running double blades, and pulling a standup sulky. Is ther a fixed deck mower that has several anti scalp rollers like the floating decks?? I know some fixed decks have none. can anti-cscalp rollers be added?? I mow some rough lawns and some ditch slopes , that is why I was leanig towards the floating but now I'm reconsiderning.

thanks for your thoughts.
  2. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

We purchased two Scag 52's with the advantage floating deck. They are heavy, but very well built. They also cut extremely nice. I think they were only $300 or $400 more than the regular deck 48". I think it was worth the extra money....
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Rough lawns and some ditches? I would consider a floating deck.

Besides the anti-scalp wheels being a plus, the EXMARK floaters are quick and easy to adjust. I love mine. They have been nothing but sweet! Durable, excellent cut, ect.

Good luck in your decision. :)
  4. I agree with what sls said and also the floater dont affect the deck pitch like it does on a fixed deck when you change heights of cut.
  5. PaulJ

Thanks for the replys

That all goes along with what I was thinking.
    I just wasn't sure if I was on the right track.

picking a floating deck also helps me narrow down my choices some. Right now I am leaning towards scag.

thanks again
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Where the heck is Exmark? Its hard to beat their cut.
  7. PaulJ

I know Exmark is a good brand , but my dealer here has no sevice department. Plus there are a few other things on the exmark that aren't quite what I'm looking for. They might still be in the running though. just wish I could see one in person (see my other thread on Long distance dealers).
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

start your own exmark dealership. I plan on opening one when i graduate.
  9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

what affect are you talking about oodin?

I will change my fixed deck by alternating 3 of the 4 spacers to adjust height and I have found absolutely no difference in cut by changing spacers.

10. george i guess i should have said it threw it off on the scag fixed decks we use to have when setting the mower deck up at three inchs.
    It was always a pain to get the pitch right on the fixed deck scags .