Floating or fixed???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TGG, Feb 19, 2004.

1. TGG

TGG LawnSite Member

Im looking at a few mowers and I am trying to decide. I know Im getting a metro now is just size and floating or fixed would be the question. Here are the prices I was quoted:

REMEMEMBER THESE ARE CANADIAN DOLLARS

36" Metro with floating deck 15hp kawasaki $5300
    36"Metro with fixed deck 12.5 kawasaki- $4200
    32" Metro with fixed 12.5 kawasaki- $3900

So do I really need a floating deck? Most yards are relativly flat with some small hills.

2. radarjr1973

radarjr1973 LawnSite Member

yes a floating deck would be better

3. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

If most yards are relatively flat AND you don't need to change height of cut often, then IMO don't bother spending the extra$ for the floating deck.

4. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 Exmark Vikings with fixed decks and have never regretted not having the floating deck.

5. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

If you're gonna have to change height quite a bit, go with the floating deck. I don't change very often, so I got a fixed deck on my 36". The savings was worth it. But I will definitely get a floating deck when I get my 52" hydro from Exmark to help avoid those scalping mishaps.

6. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I used a fixed deck for four years and was very happy with it. The only thing is that a lot of my customers wanted me to cut at different hights. I never lost a customer because of it, but when I bought my new mower last year it had a floating deck. If you can afford it I would get the floating deck mower. It just makes you more versitle and it is hard to explain that your mower deck isn't adjustable to the customer. On the plus side you have alot less to keep up with when all the lawns are cut at the same height.