floating vs fixed decks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Keegan, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I'm looking to start my own business and doing research on mowers. What is the difference between and fixed and floating deck? What size is best for fitting in between a gate?
    Thanks!

2. soccer911

soccer911 LawnSite Member

32" fits in most gates. Floating gives a cleaner cut if hilly, but on flat ground not much difference. The fixed is less $$. Im in the same spot, wich one to buy ? Test drive and go with the one you like.

3. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

If you're in an area with a lot of hills or do a lot of high end residential get a hydro with a floating deck, a fixed deck on these yards you really have to pay attention on the direction that you go over terrain for scalping purposes. If you're on a budget get the fixed, it's what i have right now, but going to upgrade. With a hydro you can usually go faster and its less worry about making a mistake in a yard. Really base your decision on budget.

4. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

Go floating deck only. You can never tell what yard you may add each year. The floating deck moves up and down with the undulations of the yard. A floating deck usually gives a better all around cut. It is worth the extra money.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yes I vote for the floating deck even if you have to borrow the money or save longer to get it

6. 25nbl

25nbl LawnSite Member

Floating Deck for sure!!! I have a 32 with a fixed deck and I only use it one fields or big acreage...I HATE fixed decks and wouldnt take one for free, well maybe for free, but they really aren't that good.

7. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro with floating deck all the way here. I owned a w/b belt with fixed deck before. And, after using the w/b hydro with float I would not go back to belts and fixed. With hydro you can maneuver forward to reverse by just squeezing the leavers further back. Very nice feature when mowing around trees, decks, swing sets, etc. The extra money is worth every penny if you can afford it. Time is money. Good luck.