1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Floating vs. fixed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by basset, Jun 14, 2002.

1. basset

basset LawnSite Member
    from ma.

Newbie here,

Just starting in the business and looking for a wb mower. It will be used in a condo development with many small sections of lawn , small trees and small inclines. What will better suit my needs a floating deck or fixed? I am currently looking at a toro model with the floater belt drive and a hydro Scaq fixed deck. My main concern is the tight areas and small inclines.

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Best advice: find a dealer that will let you demo them. I have a rather large mower and if the ground is soft, the deck will force the anti-scalp wheels into the dirt anyhow - floating doesn't always work.
  3. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" fixed deck and I really like it. If I were to go with a larger deck I would opt for the floating deck but with the 48 fixed id fine.
  4. basset

basset LawnSite Member
    from ma.

Is it all that necessary on a 36" deck to even use a floater. Why then do they offer floating decks ? Is it for uneven terrain? Forgive me if I seem uneducated on this but I can't seem to find anything in the archives on peoples preferences? Advantages or Disadvantages? The dealers have their own opinions with their brands?
  5. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

The bigger the deck the harder to handle physically. In my opinon anything over a 48 should be floating. 48 or less you can manuver easily to keep from scalping. My advice save the extra money to spend on trimmers and blowers and such.
  6. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

A floating deck can help prevent most scalping, but a fixed deck is much stronger and can take a beating, if it were me I would just go with the fixed deck for better durability!:)
  7. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark 48" metro fixed deck and have had no problems with scalping on uneven terrain, It is a very durable mower:)
  8. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I USED to have a green wb with a fixed deck. I now have a toro floating deck. I didn't like the fixed deck because it seemed to beat me up because when the deck moves so does the whole mower and it scalped A LOT. Now with the floating deck it is a lot smoother. When I hit a bump only the deck moves.
  9. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Much easier to change cutting height on my Exmark turftracer (floating deck)
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We have both. Fixed and floating.

Don't have a problem with the fixed scalping, but being able to adjust the height easily makes the floating deck come out on top in our opinion.

You may not think you will have to adjust your cutting height frequently, but you will be surprised that there are times that you will need to. Having a floating deck makes this task a breeze.