1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flood Equipment

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by greasy_gun, May 7, 2006.

1. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you are buying,unknown or known, flood equipment from the gulf coast?
    Perhaps off eBay, this forum, etc? :dizzy:
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like to do it because of serial numbers and ownership issues, I have never purchased any equipment that I was not at least for myself certain would not possibly be stolen. In the case of salvage the issues are somewhat different but the price of said equipment still needs to reflect the fact that it is salvage, even in perfect operating condition, a salvaged tool isn't worth near that of anything comparable - The mere fact that it is salvaged actually puts it into the same category as 'recovered stolen' but this is a technical and legal term used only for pricing and a few other things... It doesn't make it stolen per se, but it's kinda on that same level except truly salvaged stuff is clean from legalities where stolen stuff isn't.

Let me put it another way: My 1988 bmw 325 is a salvaged car. The title is clear, there are no other issues with it but at one time the car had indeed, been stolen and later recovered. Thus, salvaged stuff tends to go a lot cheaper so as to reflect the fact that this stuff has been through some hard times. And you can tell, when driving it, this car isn't 100 percent but for the money I paid, I can't wish for more.

Thus if I were to purchase anything salvaged, it would have to come from someone I at least could feel that I can trust, and the price needs to reflect this as well. You might, in addition, run the serial number through a dealer who has their computer hooked up through the nationwide stolen equipment database (most do), thou to find such a dealer might be another story as they would be doing you a pretty nice favor, so to speak.