flood nozzle size?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bradyard, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bradyard

bradyard LawnSite Member

What is most common size for lawn spraying? 2gpm, 3gpm, 4gpm?

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use .5 if I use them.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 2 gpm for most apps.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I apply about 3 gallons per minute. But...I use the white 4 gallon per minute nozzle. Because I get bigger droplets and less drift. Wind is seldom a problem.

But your actual gallonage per 1000 sq ft will depend on the walking speed, swath width, pump output, hose size and hose length. A 4 gal per min nozzle will not put out 4 gallons if pressure is low. And it will put out about 6 gallons if at 200 pounds pressure. Do a bucket check. Calibrate carefully.
    The gallons output you need depends on what you are trying to do. If you melt urea or use liquid fert--you need more water as a carrier. Some insect controls need plenty of water. Pre-emergents likewise. If not, or only doing weed control, less water is fine.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. azjojo99

azjojo99 LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

I use the 3 gpm nozzle calibrated to my walking speed to give ~2.3 gallons/1000 ft^2, or 100 gallons/acre.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Riggle: does this nozzle happen to let the debris through that would normally clog a 2gpm nozzle?

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I use a 2gpm on my skid sprayer. I keep thinking I should switch up to a 3gpm and walk faster, but I am too dang old.:laugh:

8. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

With the 1/2 hose I like the 2GPM nozzle.

With the 3/8 hose I like the 1.5 GPM nozzle. I use 100 mesh screen in the suction filter with this nozzle to keep the small holes sediment free.

Pete

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Whoop, I clean my nozzle about once per day. So I would say a lot of debris must go through. And I have a 325 mesh filter before the pump. Plus I have a 8 inch diameter fiberglass window screen filter glued to the inside of the tank near the outlet. Used silicone and more recently "Gorilla Glue". (Waterproof, but wear Gloves!) I melt urea--so I have a lot of foreign material to scoop out at the end of the year.

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some of that myself. I've just developed the habit of carrying a small wire brush as I go along and unscrewing/brushing/rinsing the nozzle when it gets bad. And while that only takes an extra 20 seconds, when I get a dirty batch of fertilizer - I'm doing that on every single lawn one or more times...