flooded honda 5 hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jav, May 20, 2002.

1. Jav

Jav LawnSite Member

I have a fairly new Honda GCV 160 (5 HP) on a presure washer that will run for only a few seconds. I have pulled apart the carburator and cleaned it with a spray cleaner. The engine only has around two hours of use. It will start and run for only a few seconds after it has sat for about 10 minutes. It will also do the same thing after I remove the spark plug and pull the cord a couple of times. It is getting spark but it seems to be flooding. Any suggestions??

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe you have water in the tank? maybe there's water in the carb bowl? take the fuel hose off of the carb and see what and how much fuel runs out. let me know so we can go from there.

3. Jav

Jav LawnSite Member

I have removed the tank and cleaned it out, adding new gas. I also had the bowl off when I cleaned the carb and it is clear gas now. It seems that the engine is just pulling in more fuel than it can burn??

4. khouse

either the float level is too high or the needle and seat is bad if your sure it's too rich?

5. khouse

either the float level is too high or the needle and seat is bad or the choke is on if your sure it's too rich?

6. Jav

Jav LawnSite Member

It seems to be too rich, when I pulled the plug the first few times it would have gas and carbon from the chamber. I since cleaned the piston chamber so it's harder to see the gas on the plug but it still feels wet. Is there a way to adjust the float level? Or if its the needle and seat, is there a way to repair the set?

7. khouse

remove the carb, remove the bowl, hold carb upside down, float should be parrallel to carb ie. level. if not level then bend tank that rests on needle to adjust.

the needle and seat comes in a kit. just replace them both and recheck float level.

8. Jav

Jav LawnSite Member

Finally got a chance to work on the engine. When I held the carb upside down I found that I had attached the needle the wrong way last time I had it apart. I reattached the needle and it runs great! Thanks for the help!!