Flooded Valve Box

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ZX12R, Aug 7, 2008.

1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I took this pic from cell phone today.Its a clients house where I maintain the property. It's hard to see,but,the box is filled from water when the lawn gets irrigated. This happens every day. How good can this be fir valves? Will it shorten their life?

valve box.jpg

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Absolutely not. But fill in the low area and raise the box so they don't have that problem.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Get a freaking clue; are you the sprinkler guy or not?

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Or actualy diagnose and fix the problem. If the box in the turf gets filled with water, you have bigger fish to fry unless it was put it in a culvert or swale or the like, in which case you should be cycling and soaking.

5. ZX12R

"Get a freaking clue; are you the sprinkler guy or not?"

I am not a sprikler guy at all,I maintain the property as far as landscaping.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

At least you're honest. :clapping:

7. ZX12R

"Or actualy diagnose and fix the problem. If the box in the turf gets filled with water, you have bigger fish to fry unless it was put it in a culvert or swale or the like, in which case you should be cycling and soaking."

It's not my problem to fix,I was just curious as to if it would shorten valve life. The box is pretty much on flat ground....no swale. This property has 23 zones and water runs about 10 hours per day. :dizzy:

8. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Not necessarily a leak problem, just a low area holding water.

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

too much water at once then. It is not being applied properly if it is running to the box.

10. ZX12R

No need for me to lie Mike.In my other posts,I openly admit that I do not do irrigation for hire. I am just looking to learn for my own property.