1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Flooding my bp blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Island Lawn, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Now that it has warmed up and I have opportunity to really try out my new stuff, I cant crank my bp! It seems to flood around 3 pulls!

ONE time, I cranked it (after flooding it first, of course)
    I took the plug out and pulled the rope, spraying the flooded gas/oil out of the chamber. I then dried off the plug & put it back in place. It worked that time. I remember thinking that wasnt such a big deal since I would soon learn how not to flood it.

Since then, I have had a few times to use it again. It floods right away. It nver sparks. I dont know that it wasnt flooded before I pulled the rope the first time!
    I go through the same processes of clearing the chamber. Only now it seems to be dry on the first pulls, but after a couple or three, the gas/oil really starts flowing and never really dries up.

This just happened again. I had my mobile and called my dealer for advice.
    He said let it sit 20 min w/ the plug out and try again.
    I picked up that ladys yard real good for over 20 min!
    Gave my bp a couple of gentle pulls - nothing
    Pulled the plug out again.
    Its flooded!!!!

I got out my homelite hand held w/ primer bulb and it cranked on the 3rd pull - as ALWAYS

Finished cleaning up.
    Came home to whine to yall

Anybody got any comments?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

What brand and model is it? Let us know exactly what you do when you try to start it. Do you use the primer bulb? If so how many pumps.
  3. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

what kind of bp blower is it? i had a similar situation with my stihl br400.

my bp starts every time now without flooding if and only if i follow the following starting procedure:

pull cord while choked until it fires. (usually 2-3 pulls)

cut choke off. pull until it cranks (usually 2-3 pulls)

if i don't follow this regimine, then i am doing the same thing as you. pulling the plug, pulling the cord, etc , etc.

that can be a pain in the butt!

let me know if this helps ya.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hunter's process is definitely the right way to do it. If it is still tending to flood out, many times you can squeeze the throttle trigger all the way, KEEP IT SQUEEZED, and pull start it. I know this seems like the oppostite of what you are trying to accomplish, but it works.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This is how we start our EB6200 Red Max when cold and the first start of the day. Prime it 3 to 5 times, put the choke on, put the throttle at about 1/4 and pull the rope. It usually takes 2 pulls when cold and it is running. Take the choke off and your all set.

When is has set about 20 minutes, put the choke on and pull the rope and it's running usually in 1 or 2 pulls. When it is warm, you just pull the rope once, no choking and it is running.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

try echo or stihl 50-1 and high test and follow given instructions.I use 4 different makes and they all perfom same with that mix.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've also heard that Stihl's are prone to flooding. I don't even prime my Shindaiwa or Redmax. I just choke them. As soon as they start, I turn the choke off.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

guess ill keep the ryobi after all .Just no trouble w proper mix.
  9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me like you've got a stuck needle valve or stuck float in the carb that allows gas to drain into the intake. Check both of these - it could be something as small as a piece of grass/dirt stuck in the valve seat.
  10. plow kid

plow kid Banned

To the best of my knoledge,
    Most 2 cycle equipment ave diaphrams in the carb, not float bowls, that way they can be used in any position without flooding