Flooding yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by XyellowX, Jul 21, 2014.

1. XyellowX

XyellowX LawnSite Member

So I'm getting sick of my yard flooding every spring and during heavy rains and wanted input on putting a drain system in. I've done underground gutters but nothing this big. Previous owner put in a system that doesn't work until the flood water reaches 50 feet from rear ditch. I'm the lowest yard on the block and the yard is pretty flat. I can run pipe to the front ditch ( my current plan ) but it's a long span. About 115 feet. I'll try to get picks up when I finish today's route . Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. XyellowX

XyellowX LawnSite Member

Just because this is for my own property and not one of my customers my question gets moved
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

How much water is accumulating? 115 feet isn't going to be a problem with drains unless you have a bunch of buried lines to go around. Trenching shovel and some 3 or 4 inch pipe should do the job. Hope you don't have rocky soil. Best to make sure trench slopes properly before burying the pipe.

4. XyellowX

XyellowX LawnSite Member

clay is approx. a foot under top soil. 6-8 inch drop over the 115 feet. a couple trees and buried power lines. yard gets approx. 5-10,000 gallons of water during a flooding event. cant figure out how to get pics off of phone to site

5. XyellowX

XyellowX LawnSite Member

lets try and see if the pic works

photo.JPG

6. XyellowX

XyellowX LawnSite Member

picture taken from patio. entire grass area normally gets covered by water for a day or 2

7. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similar issue with a low spot in the front yard. Now even 5" of rain drains off in an hour or so. Used 3" pipe.