1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Floratam in my Zoysia

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrmumbels, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mrmumbels

mrmumbels LawnSite Member

Anyone know how to kill off floratam that's crawling into my zoysia? It's actually my old lawn. There was a section that moved over to the neighbors and now it's coming back. It's pretty easy to just pull up the runners but i'd rather kill it off for good. please help
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Assuming you are a homeowner, the easiest and least expense thing is 1/2 oz of 41% Roundup in a gallon of water sprayed per thousand sq ft. Zoysia is a very hardy turf and resistant to most herbicides, where St Augustine is very susceptible. The lower rate of Roundup will not kill your Zoysia. Zoysia is very easy to keep weed free because it can tolerate many different herbicides.
  3. tungsten33

tungsten33 LawnSite Member

Funny thing is that Floratam has better drought tolerant than zoysia!:hammerhead:
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Actually Zoysia will turn totally brown and then spring back after a drought. St Augustine might take longer to turn brown but when it does, it is dead. St Augustine is a faster growing turf than Zoysia. Therefore it will re-establish much quicker than Zoysia if not totally dead.
  5. mrmumbels

mrmumbels LawnSite Member

I hate st aug. I'm from maine so I shouldn't have to explain. although flortam is a better looking version of it. the rest looks like field grass. I put image crabgrass killer and 2 4 d on it and it seems to be working with no effect on the zoysia.