Florida and licensing?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Precision, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have been doing irrigation checks and repairs, mostly for existing clients. but now word is getting out that I do quality irrigation work and I am getting requests for installs and Major repair jobs. I can do the work, my issue comes in the licensing / certification area. I don't want to be doing work and suddenly get code violation or some other crap by being ignorant.

My company is located in Brevard county, Florida and I can't find any licensing requirements from either state or county officials.

Barring needing official licensing, what are some Organizations that provide cert courses that will help me to learn and do a better job and work more efficiently?

Thanks.

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

look up florida irrigation society they may be able 2 help. every county is different. call ur county 2 find out. sorry about the typing I'm using my phone

3. Precision

Thanks. I will try the florida irrigation society.

I did call my county. Maybe I got someone who was new or didn't care, but they were less than clear and less than helpful. I guess I will have to drive down there and find out in person.

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Check with the building department.
    They would issue a permit to do the work; so they should know what credentials you need to pull a permit for hire.

5. Precision

good thinking. I didn't think of that.

On my list for today. Thanks.

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, thought you had already been there, done that. By calling them you will find out if your county is one that requires lic. or not.

7. Precision

seems my county does require it, but not through the licensing division, through the contractor division.

:confused: :confused: :hammerhead: :confused: :confused:

Got to call them tomorrow.

Had a winner of a day today.

My diesel is about to grenade the Tranny, so I took that in to the shop to get it fixed.
    Fired up the gasser and used her all day today. Pulled up to do an end of day estimate and one of the valvestems is leaking like crazy. So tomorrow gotta pull that tire and get if fixed and use the Ranger. Glad to have depth in trucks and glad tomorrow is a short schedule.

Who would expect both trucks down on consequtive days, but at least slower season is starting for me.

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 1 county below you.... down here, I ran into the "need three years working for a irrigation contractor before you can sit for the test"

There seems to be a total disregard for the ability of people to learn things without working for someone else first:hammerhead:

Meanwhile... a crew of people with fresh bruises from an suprise turnip truck dismount can go out and lay out pipes & heads that pass as a irrigation system:angry:

9. Precision

I agree. Working for someone else prior to taking the test is dumb. You know it or you don't. But it does keep the established from getting as much competition. What kills me is the secretary can sit for the test. She worked there for 3 years. Doing the bills, but she worked there.

Now if only they would apply that logic to being allowed to cut grass. It would solve 2 problems. Low ball johnnie proliferation and the ability to get quality workers.

Hopefully I will get the real scoop today.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your state is establishing an apprenticeship program similar to what the unions have for plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.