Lawn Care Forum banner

Florida and licensing?

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Flow Control 
#1 ·
I have been doing irrigation checks and repairs, mostly for existing clients. but now word is getting out that I do quality irrigation work and I am getting requests for installs and Major repair jobs. I can do the work, my issue comes in the licensing / certification area. I don't want to be doing work and suddenly get code violation or some other crap by being ignorant.

My company is located in Brevard county, Florida and I can't find any licensing requirements from either state or county officials.

Barring needing official licensing, what are some Organizations that provide cert courses that will help me to learn and do a better job and work more efficiently?

Thanks.

#3 ·
ICS said:
look up florida irrigation society they may be able 2 help. every county is different. call ur county 2 find out. sorry about the typing I'm using my phone
Thanks. I will try the florida irrigation society.

I did call my county. Maybe I got someone who was new or didn't care, but they were less than clear and less than helpful. I guess I will have to drive down there and find out in person.

#5 ·
General Landscaping said:
Check with the building department.
They would issue a permit to do the work; so they should know what credentials you need to pull a permit for hire.
good thinking. I didn't think of that.

On my list for today. Thanks.

#7 ·
ICS said:
Sorry, thought you had already been there, done that. By calling them you will find out if your county is one that requires lic. or not.
seems my county does require it, but not through the licensing division, through the contractor division.

:confused: :confused: :hammerhead: :confused: :confused:

Got to call them tomorrow.

Had a winner of a day today.

My diesel is about to grenade the Tranny, so I took that in to the shop to get it fixed.
Fired up the gasser and used her all day today. Pulled up to do an end of day estimate and one of the valvestems is leaking like crazy. So tomorrow gotta pull that tire and get if fixed and use the Ranger. Glad to have depth in trucks and glad tomorrow is a short schedule.

Who would expect both trucks down on consequtive days, but at least slower season is starting for me.

#8 ·
I'm 1 county below you.... down here, I ran into the "need three years working for a irrigation contractor before you can sit for the test"

There seems to be a total disregard for the ability of people to learn things without working for someone else first:hammerhead:

Meanwhile... a crew of people with fresh bruises from an suprise turnip truck dismount can go out and lay out pipes & heads that pass as a irrigation system:angry:

#9 ·
I'm 1 county below you.... down here, I ran into the "need three years working for a irrigation contractor before you can sit for the test"

There seems to be a total disregard for the ability of people to learn things without working for someone else first:hammerhead:

Meanwhile... a crew of people with fresh bruises from an suprise turnip truck dismount can go out and lay out pipes & heads that pass as a irrigation system:angry:
I agree. Working for someone else prior to taking the test is dumb. You know it or you don't. But it does keep the established from getting as much competition. What kills me is the secretary can sit for the test. She worked there for 3 years. Doing the bills, but she worked there.

Now if only they would apply that logic to being allowed to cut grass. It would solve 2 problems. Low ball johnnie proliferation and the ability to get quality workers.

Hopefully I will get the real scoop today.

#11 ·
PurpHaze said:
Sounds like your state is establishing an apprenticeship program similar to what the unions have for plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.
I hope not. I just think it is patterned off of our really dumb laws for round up application.

What we really need is state laws or guidelines and not a county by county hodgepodge.

#12 ·
The problem I have is there will be 1 person at a company that passed a test (or grandfathered in) a loooonnnnggg time ago; meanwhile there is a revolving door of flunkies and no habla ingles that are in the field unsupervised doing the work.

Meanwhile, I can't legally alter a system to reflect a change in the landscape.

Aside from dropping my own landscape/maintenance biz to work for a irrigation company for a few years; my options are :confused:

Same thing goes for turf applications of pesticides/herbicides. It's OK for TG to run newbies through a crash course and turn 'em loose with a truckload of chemicals for sale; but I can't even sit for a test to get licensed. (that's a state thing)

Fences fall under the same contractor licensing racket in this county. Gotta work for somone else first.

Pavers too.

By the time I work for enough different outfits to get all the paperwork needed to run a full service company; it'll be time to retire.

#14 ·
Precision, got a proposition for you...

You know how most irrigation guys work here in Florida. Pretty much what is installed are cookie cutter systems. Everybody has the same boring and ill-adjusted stuff.

Getting started in the biz, you need an edge.

That edge - MP Rotators.

Very few people people or irrigation supply houses in Florida know of the MP Rotator. You can design systems for people that will work with increasing low pressure areas, conserve water and more effectively put water down. Plus it is a great visual experience. It's something you would see in a Disney landscape

You can also design these MP systems for future expansion.

Getting to my proposition....
PurpHaze has designed a MP Rotator master sysytem for me. I have all the parts and am going to do the trenching and install this Friday and Saturday.

If you are willing to come help with the install, you can learn all about the MP Rotator and use my yard for photos and videos for demonstration purposes.

I'm not a very trusting soul about who I let help me, so nothing personal, but if you are interested in this deal, leave your help at home. I only want very experienced people helping me cut and glue parts together. I don't want people who have been doing it quick and dirty for years and years.

I showed a MP Rotator in action to the guy doing the final grading on my pool. He has a brother who is a Florida irrigator. His comments when he saw the Rotator working: "Wow! That is cool as sh_t!!"

If interested, shoot me a PM with your email address. I'll contact you with my phone number and address.

I live in Clermont, about an hour's drive west of you. Easy to find from the turnpike.

Ed Geary

#15 ·
MP rotor is not some thing sent down from the heavens above. It is a great tool. Here is my question in which I am going to sound really dumb or sound like I have common water sense. Statement: MP rotors save water. Now all things with design being equal. e.g. a zone of RB u series nozzles vs. mp rotors. If grass needs X amount of water how is the mp application more efficient then the u series nozzles. They do put out less water, but is does not matter since the area needs x amount of water, they just run longer. Remember I did say they are a great tool when needed.

#16 ·
By the time I work for enough different outfits to get all the paperwork needed to run a full service company; it'll be time to retire.
The thing to do is get good subs for those things. That is what I do for fert and squirt. I have a guy who uses high quality granular applications for fert and he and I have a custom system for my clients. He can do what he wants on his, but No 24-2-11 on my lawns in June. Mine get 9-2-24 (6% iron) so it greens up but doesn't jungle up. He is now doing that on many of his as well.
He is a small operator and the 30 or so clients I have sent him are important to his bottom line. and we refer for each other. works out better than if I was doing it myself.

Same thing with my tree guy. I sub out all that crap now and don't have to worry about working it into the schedule or supervising closely or added liability and my clients love the one stop shopping aspect.

I see no need to get licenses for those things. I make a phone call and make 10-20% mark up.

Irrigation on the other hand. I like doing it. and have yet to find someone who gives a crap about quality and will do a maintenance program especially on residentials.

#18 ·
ICS said:
MP rotor is not some thing sent down from the heavens above. It is a great tool. Here is my question in which I am going to sound really dumb or sound like I have common water sense. Statement: MP rotors save water. Now all things with design being equal. e.g. a zone of RB u series nozzles vs. mp rotors. If grass needs X amount of water how is the mp application more efficient then the u series nozzles. They do put out less water, but is does not matter since the area needs x amount of water, they just run longer. Remember I did say they are a great tool when needed.
Your points are excellent. The key to the whole thing is the programming length. Perhaps when an MPR zone is programmed even double time is still shorter (GPM wise) than normal time for a rotor/spray zone therefore saving water but still providing adequate precipitation and lushness of turf.

Where the tremendous benefit is on any type of stream rotor (Toro 300, MPRs) is their use on sloped areas. The method of delivery is far superior to any spray/rotor pattern due to the increased infiltration method and vast decrease in run-off.

#19 ·
ICS said:
I completely agree with this. When our water restrictions were in place, we had a 3 hour max that we could run our systems. Didn't matter if it was one zone or twenty. MRs would make it difficult to lay down the required amount of water in that time for larger systems. I am still not sold on the MPs as being that incredible.

Also, anybody have problems with the MPs after winterizing with an air compressor? Just curious. I have a few systems that I maintain with them, and already blown out two.

#20 ·
This sytem is going to work great. I have no doubts.

I even doubled up on the number of acetelene tanks I think will need to join the pipe.

I was out on Saturday, sprinkler heads in hand, dragging a hose all over the yard and marking locations.

My next door neighbor who is a supervisor for Massey Green-Up (lawn maintenance co) and who supposedly adjusts irrigation systems for his customers, came over and told me I was putting down way too many heads.

I asked what he meant.

His reply was that water from one sprinkler was hitting the head of another sprinkler.

Oy Vey.

#21 ·
Ed G said:
My next door neighbor came over and told me I was putting down way too many heads.

I asked what he meant.

His reply was that water from one sprinkler was hitting the head of another sprinkler.

Oy Vey.
What you aren't using the 1% overlap method. I mean all the scrubs and other slackers are gonna look bad it you actually do it properly.

Just goes to show why I want to get my license. Seems like I already know more that a few of the licensees. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
Alright, one more time.

Using MP rotators spaced properly, you are not using less water. The precipitation rate is actually higher than many other rotors on the market.

At 40.0 psi the 180 deg uses 1.82 gpm with a 30' radius. The precip rate is over .4 in/hr.

Regardless of the application rate, it will always take 27154 gals to cover an acre 1" deep.

Advantages of the MP - more heads on a zone thereby covering a little more area and the cost is about $3.00 less per head. Also smaller droplet size means less soil compaction/puddling of soil.

Best thing about them is they look cool as hell in operation.

#23 ·
DanaMac said:
I completely agree with this. When our water restrictions were in place, we had a 3 hour max that we could run our systems. Didn't matter if it was one zone or twenty. MRs would make it difficult to lay down the required amount of water in that time for larger systems. I am still not sold on the MPs as being that incredible.
Bet if you took the calculator out you'd be able to run a few MPR zones simultaneously. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.