1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Florida certification inquiries...

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by FloridaDave, Apr 23, 2012.

  1. FloridaDave

    FloridaDave LawnSite Member
    Posts: 2


    It is my understanding that we need to have a certification/license in order to apply granule fertilizer here in Florida. I am currently in Pompano and would like to know where I can go to obtain this certification. In addition, I would also like to obtain my "limited" or Roundup license.

    If I were to relocate to another county, would these certificates follow me, or would I have to get re-certified?

    Thanks in advance for your help,
  2. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 11,956


    Don't waste your time or money getting the fertilizer cert because unless you have the full blown Commercial L&O it is no good. You can't even apply Weed & Feed with that license. Instead, Net work with a smaller CPO operation to do all your application.

    Yes at present time Each county has it's own Fert laws and License. However that state also has input to those local laws & licenses.

  3. Landscape Poet

    Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,638


    Although Ric is correct in that it is more profitable to sub your work out to a smaller CPO...you did also ask about obtaining your limited license. This license will help you become more profitable by subbing out the lawn to the CPO while doing the shrubs yourself. The fertilizer certification which you are talking about requires you to take the Best Mgmt Practices, often referred to as BMP.
    Both the BMP and your Limited license are able to be tested for and provided at your local county extension. They will of course be able to help you in determining if any other certification must be had in counties in which you work. The state will require anyone using fertilizer to have at least the BMP by 2014 I believe so I would advice getting it if you plan on spreading fertilizer of any type any where including the beds.

    UF/IFAS Broward County Extension Office
    3245 College Ave., Davie, FL 33314-7719
    Phone: 954-357-5270 Fax:954-357-5271
  4. unkownfl

    unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,838

    Here in Orange we have to have the BMP I'm sure landscape poet is aware of this. Yes it may be more profitable but I normally apply the first round of fert on SOD so that's why it's worth it for me. I've been doing this for a few years and I have yet to be approached by a L&O to network with. I guess I'm never on a lawn more than 7 minutes might have something to do with it, or they just don't like my hack work I guess.
  5. bug-guy

    bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 971

  6. FloridaDave

    FloridaDave LawnSite Member
    Posts: 2

    Hey guys,

    Thanks for all your assistance here. I will call UF/IFAS and look into their classes.

  7. olive123

    olive123 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 500

    you wont need that license untill 2014. It is an all day class/test, however you can take it online now. Very informitive if you are "green":laugh:
  8. jvanvliet

    jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,939

    The BMP cert. is not your license for fertilizer apps. It's a requirement for it, you'll need to submit in application to the State with a picture and a check.

Share This Page