Florida cutters in here please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry if this is long but please read this and give me your thoughts and oppinions if your in the florida area.

My area just plain sucks. I live in an area that is one of the most expensive places to live in the united states. People come here because of the high paying jobs and thats all well and good but houses are so outragious it makes most people "house broke".

This then leads to the competition here in our industry. The competition has grown in leaps and bounds over the last 10 years and with all the illegals in this area it has drove prices to rock bottom. This leads to us haveing a hard time picking up any new customers then on top of that we cant get what we feel is a fair price so needless to say we just scrape by every year.

So far this year we have passed out over 1000 flyers and havent gotten 1 call. We pulled up to one house today that had 5 different lawn care flyers stuck to the mailbox. Every neighborhood we have been to this spring has been plastered with flyers. In the summer it seems as if every 10th truck you pass on the road is a lawn care company. To make matters worse we have ZERO work from the end of november till early march.

Well my fiances parents live in Tampa. I have visted there only once but I can see where it might be a great area to work for lawn guys like us. Cutting 12 months a year even if it is only 2-3 weeks between cuts in the winter would be amazing. On top of that it is cheaper to live there. On top of that I am a huge car guy and there is car stuff to do all year there.

So my question is........ Are my thoughts way off base? Is the lawn care market down there saturated beyond the immagination like it is here? Somebody set me straight if I am way off base here.

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I may not be the best judge, because I don't live there... but I've got friends, family there and I visit often.

I don't think you can compare Maryland to Florida.... as far as saturation goes. Florida is ridiculously saturated...probably 20x over... just for the reason you stated... year round, full of seniors and retirees.

Another state that I thought was over crowded was Jersey.... back in the day, you'd pull up to any intersection in the spring and summer and see a truck and trailer at all four corners... can't imagine what it's like now.

3. ProStreetCamaro

Yeah I figured florida would be saturated. I also thought about the carolinas but there isnt any work there in the winter is there? Your season probably starts sooner and ends later than our season? I have been trying to compare apples to apples in the housing market. My fiances friend and her husband bought a new very nice house in florida a year or two ago. They paid $300K and the same place here would sell for $700K. That is a hugeeee price difference. Around here a 1/2 acre lawn goes for $25 or less. 1/4 acre for $20 or less. 1 acre and your looking at $35 or less. I pulled flyers out of 2 to 3 acre lawns that had hand written $45 per cut the other day. :cry: WTF

4. Carolina Cuts

well, here we have no real 'leaf' clean ups like up north.... so it's a short end of the season. Residentials lawns are not year round cause the centiweed, I mean centipede goes dormant. But I'd say 85% of the commercial properties get overseeded w/ rye for year round green which actually grows faster then centipide... weekly cuts right into the spring. So, things do slow down cause of the the resi's, but commercials keeping going. It's a nice little breath of fresh air during Nov. Dec. Jan and Feb.

But yea, you don't wanna come down here...
    weather is hot, taxes are outrageous, all homes are 1million +, golf courses are lousy, no places to eat out, the ocean has hospital waste in it, and theres nothing fun to do.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. ProStreetCamaro

:laugh: Want to join forces in a couple years and take over the carolinas? :drinkup:

6. Carolina Cuts

can I stay in the office when it's over 95 degrees? Please? please? Can I?

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

[m here in Tampa and yes it is alot of competition here

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to keep reading post there are a lot of places up north that people constantly brag about getting big bucks for mowing. I read one today about not dropping gate for less than $35. Move to one of those locals.....by the way take Texas off your list we are oversaturated with cutters.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

If the economy doesn't pick up and lawns dry out maybe we should become lawn painters instead. I see that in Texas already on 1 of the Flip your house shows. Times are tough everywhere I would be afraid to start over anywhere right now, without something to fall back on.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well it's been said on here that there is just not a lot of money to be made with all the competition in the "mow and blow" business. From the magazines articles I read the real money is in landscape, landscape design, lighting, and other area's that take some expertise. I mean we have to be honest here. Anyone with a truck, trailer, and crapsman can cut grass even after a few beers. Price wins over quality much (but not all) of the time in the cutting business. OOOPS, I'm not from Florida.