1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Florida cutters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by costcutter, Sep 27, 2003.

1. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I would like to know what you Florida guys think of work in the Ocala to crystal river and surrounding areas for relocating my buisness, the last bit of family I have is there so I would appreciate some help here. does there appear to be a lot of lco buis there, any other central FL lawn services or areas please help me with this one I'M FLEXABLE but not wealthy which is why I am asking for help. Thanks BILL
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Now would be a good time to move to the Crystal River area. The reason is because the new "Suncoast Parkway" ends there. I'm in Spring Hill (Hernando County) and we've seen a tremendous amount of growth close to the on ramps and exit ramps of this highway. Prices are starting to jump because of all the developement. Crystal River and Citrus county are the next in line to see this growth so buy now while the land is still cheap.
    There's plenty of competition as far as lawn services go but if you're reliable and do good work you'll succeed.
  3. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

The bugs down here are TERRIBLE :eek:
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I just started my lawn care business here in Homosassa, FL which is a little south of Crystal River. I've only been operating here in FL for the last 3 months. The amount of competition in this area is much heavier than my home state of Michigan. Lots of people that are unlicensed and uninsured with small trailers and riding lawn mowers (non-commercial ) running around cutting lawns for extremely low prices. I talked to one of them Friday about his operation. Said he was doing 40-50 lawns a week charging $10-$15 each. He was using a Craftsman lawn tractor and a Homelite weed whacker. That's all the equipment that he had. He had no license so he couldn't have been insured. That's the kind of thing you'll have to compete with.

I'm not trying to scare you off...just letting you know the situation in this area. I'm licensed and insured and trying to build my operation (solo) to a maximum of 50 accounts. I have 12 at this time and hope to add more in the Spring, but I can see that it won't be easy to do in this pricing environment. Being insured and licensed I can't make money or stay in business cutting grass at $15 a pop.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh Puhleesee! Every market has these types. To them, $10-$15 a lawn is double what they made at KFC or Walmart, so they're happy enough.

You have just 12 accounts, 3 months in the area, and have spoken to one guy lowballing. Does that really constitute complete "market research" ?

Business license = $50
    $1 million commerical liablity insurance = $600/year for a solo op. A little more if you do apps. And add about $700/year in Florida for license/testing/etc. But still hardly enough to affect prices much.

How is some redneck on a craftsman w/o insurance or license undercutting prices? He's LESS efficient than if he was on a $8000 mower, so he has to charge MORE to compete. The fact is that he's simply willing to make squat. That's call a free market, and that's going to happen in almost any place you go. I pass the snapper-rider guys every day and so far I've never had a problem getting business at my price.

The key here is the supply of people willing to do the work vs. the demand for it.

So, If you want to move to Florida and make money, go live WHERE THE MONEY IS. This may mean living 30 miles or more outside of the nice area to find a place that is affordable for you to live. Some of these towns mentioned I've never heard of and have median household incomes less than half that of other areas in the state. The bonus to high-income areas is that they are full of working people who have busy lives and more money than time, so they need your service. But don't go to podunk USA because you can buy a home on 2 acres for $100,000 and expect to find customers in large numbers.