1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Florida guys, how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nriddle77, Aug 15, 2004.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

Florida guys, are you all alright? Let's hear the damage report from your area. Best wishes in your recovery.
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I bet the ones in the areas hardest hit will not be able to respond due to lack of phone and power. May be a few days till we here from them.
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Punta gorda is a wreck

Kissimmee and Orlando have large parts with no power and lots of down trees. Nothing major.

Sitting here in Brevard with a couple of down limbs from my 6 overgrown oaks. Not even enough for a dump run.

Bottom line, if you weren't at first impact or in a trailer park or terribly unlucky, not so much of a big deal. Obvioulsy, the 10-12 dead would disagree, but considering the 145+ mph winds we did ok. Kudos to the emergency management people.
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

we were supposed to get some of that storm up here in NYC..... we got walloped with 4 mph winds and 1/4" rain. i swear the weather guys are there for pure entertainment purposes, all about the ratings.
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The picture of the neighborhood I seen on the front page of the paper looked like it had been "nuked". It is a miracle more peole were not killed. I wish you lots of luck down there.
  6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

We were supposed to get 2 plus inches of rain and high winds. Nothing. Matt
  7. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

Here in Brandon (just east of Tampa) everybody was really calm and people were just trying to get their houses secure enough so things wouldn't fly around like missles. Some people in my neighborhood taped their windows or put up plywood. People were really nice at the grocery stores and gas stations. It was like a movie I saw where everybody was just waiting for the world to end (Armageddon? sp?). I had all my insurance papers in waterproof/fireproof lock boxes, all my patio furniture and loose things were in my living room. Bathtubs were filled up, camping stoves and latern were all tested and ready to go. After all, the storm was supposed to slam right in to Tampa Bay/St. Pete area with 14 feet of storm suge and 130+ winds...once you get a broken window then more than likely your roof will fly right off.

I sat on the couch and just watched the news...my daughter was on AIM talking to her friends and all excited about seeing high winds. I kept telling her it wasn't going to be a fun thing and that we could lose our house. All she could talk about was that she and her friends are planning a canoe trip down the main street. :p

Then.....Friday rolls around and around 12noon or so the weather guy gets an update from the National Hurrican center that the storm was now a Category 3....he talks about it for about 10 minutes and notices that the storm seems to jog a little to the right (NorthEast) and then an official word comes across the line and it was upgraded to a Category 4 and that the storm had indeed turned more to the NE.

As I hear this the butterflies and tightness in my chest went away a little.

The wind got to around 40 and small branches fell and no damage at all. The eye went through 1 county East of me (bout 45 miles). Then Saturday it rained and 6 tornado's spawned around my area and everybody was like, "this is worse then yesterday". lol

Sorry for the long story. The good part (if there can be one) is that FEMA is covering what people's insurance doesn't...if you lived in a trailer you can't get insurance so FEMA is paying for it.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

We were supposed to get the direct hit. I actually went to home depot on thurs night and got plywood (they were staying open all night), and i was working till about 2:30 am cutting wood to board up the windows. We ended up getting about what you got. It turned early.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My sister lives in Fort Myers. I finally got to speak to her yesterday. They, of course, have no power or water. She said it looks like a bomb went off in her neighborhood. A lot of debris everywhere and they couldn't really go anywhere. For the most part though all of the houses are intact. She did say that the trailer parks to the west of her were destroyed. Nothing left.
  10. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I'am in central Fl. 30 miles east of Arcadia, no power, phone, water for three days. Luckly I have a generator to keep things going. Power came on at midnight last night. Just about every house has a tree down . Mowed half my yards on sunday, will mow the rest today, Tuesday I roll out my chipper and make some honest money.