Florida guys, monthly or per cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AAR Lawn Services, Jun 29, 2007.

1. AAR Lawn Services

AAR Lawn Services LawnSite Member

It seems that most on this board charge per cut so in the summer you'll make all your money and pretty much none in the winter. In Florida I've heard some guys charge a flat monthly rate year round for their customers. Say for a 1/4 acre $85/mo for 12 months, approx 40 cuts = $25.50 a cut. Or would you just charge $25.50/cut and bill more during the summer months and less in the winter?

2. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Irrigated lawns work good with price per cut X 42 / 12 months = Monthly price.
    Add in fert, hedges, bed care, etc. before you cut it into 12 months if the customer wants a true "full" package with a 1 price bill.
    The nice thing about having the full care added into the bill is that you can do the work when you have open time or as you see fit. The work's already sold and there is no "hard" date to have it done on.

For some people though, they want a cheap basic care package and do the other stuff as they request . Maybe it's a control thing, maybe a "when I have money" thing, who knows.
    Present both options or build a custom plan until you get something that sticks for that customer.

The more people you can get on a year-round plan; the better.

3. AAR Lawn Services

For an all inclusive even monthly payment would you have them sign a 12 month contract then with a cancellation type fee to help avoid cancellation in the winter?

4. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I have found that as long as you charge a fare monthly rate and show up every week they shouldn't cancel on you in the winter and if they do you don't need them anyway.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just note that cancellations inside a year will be recalculated for services rendered.... and have them sign it. Make sure you keep notes on your route sheet.

6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Weekly from April thru October, then bi-weekly November thru March. Charge the same amount every month. You calculate the monthly charge by taking your price per cut, multiply it by 42 cuts per year, then divide that sum by 12 (months). Have them sign a contract.

7. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

:weightlifter: I charge buy the month, cut as needed. Usually about 42 cuts. Customer signs a monthly service agreement with the right to cancel with 30 days notice. Good service keeps them around. If they cancel for the winter I will not take them back in the spring. No problems yet with this arrangement.:clapping:

8. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

Bingo .. forget that per cut crap. Much easier to keep track of and it feeds you in the winter. The only per cut yards I have are 1+ acre yards of bahia... only cut those when it rains....

9. AAR Lawn Services

I use to live out in Wesley Chapel. Do you mow in Meadow Pointe? I wonder if I've seen you around before.

10. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I have 11 yards in Meadow Pointe....no signs on my truck/trailer, but I do drive a blue Jeep Cherokee....I think I am the only one pulling mowers around with one of those