Florida guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Has the sand beat up the decks on your mowers? I had 1/4 inch plates welded under my deck a few years ago. Today I welded a plate on the non discharge side because the sand wore a hole in it. Do I need pictures?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sand hasnt been a huge problem for me. I find the blades will take more abuse than the deck... pics would be interesting to actually see the damage of sand erosion though.

3. ChadsLawn

Ill take some in alittle while.

4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

If so that would be 1st Ive ever heard of anything like that.

5. ChadsLawn

first 1 is the plate I welded, hard to tell but its there

[​IMG]

second and third are of where the sand wore holes in the deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, looks like mostly rust did that but I have never seen that. Is that a 7 guage deck there?

7. ChadsLawn

yeah its rust now, those holes are pretty old. Im not sure the guage of the deck. Those hole were aquired in the first 2 years. I use to mow a mobile home park(19 acres) with my dad back in the day. Its was all bahia and alot of sand underneith. But now that 1/4 steel is even getting thin in some parts. But it will do, till I can afford a new Z.
    Ive had nothing but problems with this deck. The idler pulleys go bad all the time. They dont last long at all. The spindles are junk. I rebuild them now. They were sealed, I maid them into greaseable That seemed to help them last longer.

8. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

It depends on what you are mowing, good St.augustine very little sand and deck lasts. Old weeded out bahai forget it price a deck every 2 or 3 seasons. SAND KILLS !

9. ChadsLawn

Yeah, All but 1 yard is St.Augestein. The 1 yard is all weeds. Im covered when Im done mowing.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

How many miles does that mower have on it?