Florida Lawn and Ornamental Exam

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Usz, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Usz

Usz LawnSite Member

Other than Doug Palmer, does anyone know, or can anyone recomend a tutor or test prep for the state's exam?

2. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

come one....no tutor, only study the books the test require you'll do fine...Its not an easy test. I grant you that its a hard test....if you need help passing the test, how good of a spray guy are you going to be?

I passed and L&O but could never get passed the Structural side....

Time in the field recognizing and diagnosing problems is juts as important.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Usz

Doug has two week end Seminars spaced two weeks apart and teaches you what to study and is excellence. After the Test you have lunch on Doug with all his students and tell him what you remember from the test. If anyone can get you ready, Doug can.

Bob Kessler has a One day "the answer to this question is B" type Crash Course in Winter Haven a Day before the Test.

These are the only Two I know of. Yes I did both because I was so paranoid of failing. Less than half Pass the test even on their 3rd or 4th try. I was lucky to pass 1st time with a high score. Doug and my college training are the reason I passed.

Marc

No shame in not passing the Structural test. More people fail it than L&O. The structural test is much harder than the L & O test. A lot more insects to learn. We didn't take structural Entomology in college. However Dr Sung is no longer writing the Tests and I am told they are getting a little easier.

In Edit

Marc

You and I have Similar Degrees. Not everyone can study on their own. People Like Doug Palmer and Bob Kesslar serve a purpose. Palmer at least tries to educate, He is a retired Professor of Entomology.

5. MarcSmith

nothing wrong with a hard test....But I hate tests as well.....on the Structural stuff I got hung up on the weevils and grain feeding insects....and I had some trouble with L&O in that I was working at Disney at the time so were really focused on being safe and environmental so I struggled a bit as we did not use much of the "fun Chemicals"

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marc

Like any Certification Test, What is on the Test and Used everyday are two different things. I will say everyone I have known that worked at Disney for any length of time seems to know their stuff. Must be some good training there. However last time I was at any of the parks, They seem to be awful run down compared to just 5 years ago.

7. MarcSmith

they are...they are not getting any younger, and the mroe they sub out stuff, the lower the quality. It's not cheap to operate a theme park...i think disney spent about 1.5 billion last year just on theme parks....When I left, the union were starting to make real headway in jacking up wages, which IMO is the begining of the end...eventually the unions will price them selves out of work...and the subcontracting begins, quality and service slide....its hard to keep 62 million people happy...

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Marc

At the price of admission to Rip Off Rat, It sounds more like Corporate Profit taking. For Many years Disney Owned all of their Films and could Re-release them at a high income no expense every 10 years as Box office smashes. With the advent of DVD and modern Technology, Disney Lost that reoccurring income.

However the UP SIDE to Disney's declining maintenance is New Retirees to Florida are a little more tolerant of the standard maintenance they receive on their homes since it is now better than Disney.

9. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i used doug palmer for ghp and termite (wdo) and passed both. i was amazed how i remebered so much of what doug taught.book knowledge is so different that field experience so his classes help alot. some say that since dr. sing has left it has gotten easier but i believe that was just a pissing contest between dr s and dp. people still say fl.'s is amoung the toughest.
    i plan to do the l&o this yr when i have some extra time

10. MarcSmith

not even close. ric...they did seven billion in studio sales in 06, off of a 700 million operating budget.......essentially for evey dime they spent on movies, dvd's, ect, a dollar came in. Disney makes a killing rereleasing a DVD every 10 years with extra footage of a hit movie. Thats easy money...just have to burn a new DVD and package it...don't have to finance a new film to pay for studio time, or locations shooting... Its like printing money....I'd bet even money in the fact the disney makes more on each DVD sale than they do for someone to buy a ticket and sit in a theater.

is disney greedy....yeah...but what american company isn't? As a stockholder, Id be pissed if they didn't work hard to make me money....