1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Florida Lawn Problem, Insects?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SkyCaptain, Apr 19, 2008.

1. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

This is what a lot of my lawns are looking like, it appears it is deteriorating in areas. Anyone know what this is?

2. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Looks like St. Augustine grass on a slope. The sloping is causing run-off (water), thus exposing the roots on the grass. When the roots are expose on this type of grass they can quickly get burned by the hot Florida sun. I have a septic in my yard and this use to happen to me. The solution I would recommend is to spread a layer of top soil mixed with peat moss. Now, the lawns on those pictures look too far gone and may have to be tilled up and replaced with fresh sod. Remember, top soil is more of a preventive measure on sloped lawns.

Soon as a get a chance, I will post some pictures of my own lawn detailing the slope and how I have had success in dealing with it.

3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked for bugs?
  4. Island LawnScapes

Island LawnScapes LawnSite Member

It looks like Chinch bugs or an area that had brown patch fungus.
  5. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Chinch bugs. Nasty things as they destroy the roots and that's the end of that patch of grass.

The only fix is to re-sod. However, you need to have a pest control company come and treat the entire yard first.

You HAVE to catch them early enough to prevent losing the entire yard. As soon as you see the small round brown patches, its time to tell the customer right away. If they balk, then tell them if they don't get the yard treated, they will probably lose their entire lawn in a month or less.

You should study-up on the symptoms of these pests as they are the #1 cause of people losing their St. Augustine grass lawn. They are bad news and early detection is the key and early treatment.

You will now have to cut-out the bad areas and sod it.

Also, notice what's going on at the neighboring yards. If they show up at the neighbors, tell your customer and keep your eyes peeled as you can be reasonably sure your customer will get them too.
  6. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

....I have gotten a bit of business from other lawn guys who let their customer's lawn die because they didn't know what chinch bugs were. You can also use that to your advantage go gain sod jobs. Just remember, if you let your customer lose his yard to chinch bugs and they find out you didn't know about them or didn't tell them, you will probably lose that account.

I see stuff like this all of the time. I even had a new lawn I installed get them in about 3 months. At first, I thought it was just some sod that had died, but I still went looking for the chinch bugs and found them. Told the customer, he had a lot of money invested in his new yard and listened to me. He got his yard treated, I told his neighbor and the neighbor didn't listen. The neighbor lost his yard.