Florida Lawn question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn guy, Oct 11, 2004.

1. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Hi all
    I live in central Florida and Was wondering how much others are charging per cut, trim and edge. Currently I get around $12 for a average 60X100 and $15 for corner lots. Also when hiring a employee ( to trim and edge mosty) what is a good per hour rate?
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

It's really not a matter of how much per yard ..... it's how much time it takes .... how much my cost are per hour n than how much do I need to make a living

Latter as one grows ... adds equip n workers than it also becomes how much extra to charge to create profit

Fore me ..... yards which are .25 acre is a min of $70 per month (which is $20 per cut) for wide open not much beds or such .... time frame is 20-25 min

With such a low rate ... you really only have a job n not gaining the $$ needed to create a business .... later you'll realize that as you gain more work that your gonna need to charge more $$ to cover unexpected cost (equip failure n replace)

To start at such a low rate is one thing .... but come next spring get it up to a cost of living n don't think "I'll lose all my customers" ..... NOT true those customers whom insist on such a low rate are scum .... they'll drop someone in a heart beat for a cheap price

The GOOD customer realizes the quality of dependable work n will pay more fore it .... the rate needs to be realistic true .....but not that just above what a kid with a push mower charges

oh Ya ..... Welcome to the site .... n best of luck .... hang in there .... do good work .... do what you say n say what you do .... the customers will come too you thru word of mouth
  3. Lawn Guy,
    $12 seems way to low. How long does it take you? In south Fl that lawn would be a MINIMUM of $20. And thats with hardly any edging and not much weedeating. Do yourself a favor and raise your price,your in this to make money not do charity work.
  4. chambers 38

chambers 38 LawnSite Member

30$$ and up for good cuts here
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm in Citrus County about 40 miles north of you. In Port Richie you should be able to get $20 for a 60X100 lot. I don't think $12 would even cover costs on most lawns. The rates down here are low, but I think you can get more. Most of the lawns I do here in Citrus are 100X120 ( 1/4 acre ) and I charge $22-$25 depending on the trimming and edging involved. Most of the legitmate LCO's in this area are priced about the same as me. There are a lot of illegal grass cutters around that are charging as little as $10 for a mow and blow and these are the people that are keeping the pricing down.
  6. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

I admit $12 seams low to me but in my area we have nothing but old peaple I dont think they will pay much more than that. I mow by myself and mow about 2-3 lawns an hour. I would like to charge more but the competition here is tough. I recently stoped at a lawn that looked like it needed cutting and tried to make a sale, I told the man $12 and he said his guy charges $10 and that he was comming that day to cut the lawn. Am I missing something? By the way This is my first season but I have 2001 dodge truck and a new trailer so its not because im showing up like Im desperate for money or That I would'nt do a good job but When I pitch $15 I dont get the sale.
  7. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't matter what you show up in, because the end result of your job will tell it all. As for $12 a cut, that is pretty cheap, Down here in fort lauderdale you got all your cubanos that cut 1 grass an hour for $10 that size and that is better than they ever dreamed of making in thier country. they really do bring the market down. As for that size lawn, that is a garanteed $20 no matter what!
  8. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

This sounds like you have been invaded by the kid down the street. $12 did that cover your gas, string line, and insurance. I always like these old people that say the guy who used to do it charged $10. I always ask why did he quit. Most will respond with "well, he got another job." Well, I don't plan on getting another job
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Geezers got cash. geezers without cash can get joe scrub to mow and next week can get a different scrub and next week.... you get the idea.

If you can mow tons of properties +150 and do none of the work personally, then you MIGHT be able to compete on price. Otherwise, set a standard and live up to it, then charge accordingly.

Listen to Fantasy, he has a strong business and knows what is going on.

Better yet, sit down with an accountant and spend the $200 to find out how to figure out your expenses so you can figure out what you need to charge.

Just mow it has +2000 lawns and he charges $20+.
  10. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

Well another problem I will be faced with is hiring a helper. With profit margins so thin how can I pay anyone? I think starting now I am going to raise my prices on all new accounts and see how it goes but I am living in the land of scrubs here. The area is saturated with lawn care people. If I don't close enough sales i'm not sure what my solution will be. maybe try a different area where the scrub percentage is lower?