Florida LCO'S?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ronnie Greenwood1, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Ronnie Greenwood1

Ronnie Greenwood1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

Hey, Thanks guy's.
    Here is the story I currently operate in IL and I am tired of the short season cold weather. I am pondering the idea of moving to Fl around jan. and leting a family member run this one. I had the newspaper here insert adds into the paper for me worked really well like 10,000/30,000. at a time. By doing drops in the paper. How many residental customers you think could get in jan months? If I were to do it I think I need to start out making at least $1000 gross a week too be able to make it. :dizzy: IS IT POSSIBLE....... sorry for the repost figured this ? would get better response on it own thread

2. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about getting them that quickly in Jan, but come April.... there will be alot. Alot of cheapskates out there! gotta find the better neighborhoods.

Don't forget you insect, snake, alligator, big f-ing spider and hurricane repellent.... oh, and be sure to bring a DE-humidifier with you! Oh yeah, anything you need sandblasted... just hang it in front of your discharge chute for about 10 minutes and WAHLA, ready for paint! :laugh:

Just moved from there 8 months ago.... it's all yours!

3. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

being from florida, i will say welcome if you decide to come, but west is right january is tough, we pretty much jam it up during the summer so we can still have a buisness in the winter, i go weekly march to sept then nine to ten days the rest of the year, fertilization, irrigation and landscaping keep me busy though, i dont know about your flyers though they might work on the lower end homes that are looking at price only but thats a hard call, they are building a lot of higher end homes in our area so the buisness is there you just have to get your foot in the door i get anywhere from 80.00 to 175.00 for theses homes so you dont need a whole lot of them, good luck and if i can help pm me

4. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

hey west no problem sand in my area just have to be ready to pull yourself out of the mud, what are you mowing in az isnt that a desert there

5. Ronnie Greenwood1

Ronnie Greenwood1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

Thanks for the heads up on the repelent lol that was great. I think the earliest I could even make the move would be in late nov. not that is any better. I just don't wont to end up on the streets singing songs and playing buckets to make a dollar:laugh: lol

6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

hay if all else fails you can trim palm trees for life down here and do nothing else .

7. WildWest

LOL, Been there done that with the mud too!

Yeah, AZ is desert, but there are alot of people here with grass believe it or not... not as much as florida... but they pay very well here! It get's so hot in the summer I guess people can't stand to be outside, I LOVE IT HERE, Dry heat and all!

8. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

west, one of those questions ive always had on my mind is this wonderful dry heat still heat? when people talk about it out there they always say its not bad its a dry heat, like they need to throw a sweater on if it dips below 110.

9. WildWest

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. There is a big difference.... okay 90 Degrees with 85% humidity in FL is about 105 degrees with 18% humidity here! Now, everyones thinking...yeah,right. You'll never know till you try!
    Never that constant sticky feeling here.

Mid summer there, I was SO HEAT stressed out, I was trying just to drive home, barffing in an Ice bag, headache that I thought would kill me before I got there, wishing I would die! It was 103 and the humidity was WAY up, like 93% and no wind! You can't evaporate with that humidity, and as you can see from my profile, my metabolism doesn't allow too much water storage.

I mowed here for 10 hours in 115 degrees, just kept water in me and wet my head down. Not a single problem. I LOVE THIS WEATHER!