1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

FLorida Licence Requirments

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Frontier-Lawn, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i got this email back from the state of fl today about licensing and i thought i would pass it along to any that were thinking of offering pest/fert apps

2. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I believe I posted to you something to the effect that licensing was difficult in Florida. I am glad you took the time to double check me. I see that double checking as smart move by an intelligent person. I am book marking this post because this question comes up alot. I am sure the E-mail you recieved was a form e-mail.

Now because you took the time to look this up. I will tell tell you there are ways to get a Certificate in about a year and a half from scratch. Just go to work for a lawn spray company and go to night College in Ft.Myers for turf grass management. Take 12 hrs each term for a total of 24 credit hours and apply to take the test after you have one year working under a card holder. 3 months or more after you apply to take the test you will given one of the quarterly test given by the state. About 6 weeks later you will recieve your score. Now a good 75% of those taking the test each time, are taking it for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time. However those with College training tend to be in the less than 50% that pass. I was very scared the time I took the L&O test but passed it with Flying Colors. However General Household Pest and termite I was lucky to pass by the skin of my teeth.

Now going to college at night after working all day is a real grind. I tell you that from experience. I did it for over 6 years to get a 4 year degree. However it does open doors that are other wise shut. Oh BTW I just turned 64 and got my degree 2 1/2 years ago. so if I can do it anyone can.
  4. Frontier-Lawn

sounds so delightfully i just may stick with doing cutting and med trees and new plantings and leave that stuff to another company(true green, cemlawn :p )
  5. Frontier-Lawn

6. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ric, do you think the toughness to getting licensed may back fire a little in FLA. I say this because of ICC's last 2 post.

You know what I mean right?
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Oh do I and in more ways than one.

Interesting how Attitude and Ignorants go together