1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Florida mowing question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by radracer, Apr 12, 2007.

1. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

I was wondering how many cuts a year you do on bahai in cenral Florida (Pasco County). I do 42 on St. Augustine (weekly April - Nov. & twice monthly Nov. - April) but, I am bidding some sub-divisions that only have bahai and I need to figure the monthly cost based on the number of cuts. Thanks in advance for your help.

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

37 cuts per year
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if you have never cut bahia -you might want to find out what you are in for before you commit to a contract. it grows faster than st aug and is much harder to cut. hard to much nearly impossiable to bag . the only effective way to deal with bahia is to side discharge it . it also goes dormit in cold-cool weather and dosnt need cutting then at all.
  4. Ocalalawns

Ocalalawns LawnSite Member

I do 40 TO 42 cuts a year depending on how long winter last. In the summer it grows an inch a day. On some properties it requires double cutting. I just bought a scag with the velocity deck, it throws the grass out better so I'm hoping for no double cuting.
  5. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

Thanks to all

6. rob b.

rob b. LawnSite Member

38 Cuts A Year Is What I Base My Price On.customers Seem To Be Less Picky With These Types Of Yards For Some Reason.side Discharge With Some Sharp Blades-easy Money
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I myself don't do Bahia. Of course I've been mowing here for almost 20 years so I can be a little picky. The best way to mow Bahia is to mow weekly Apr through Oct and then around Thanksgiving overseed with winter Rye. The lawn, if properly watered, will look better in Feb than it does in summer and the customer will love it. Plus, you can do bi-weekly mowing through the winter to keep the wolves away from your door.
  8. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Land's Sake!!! You're talkin' baleing Hay, Son!!!!!!!

Cows will knock each other out of the way to get at that roll of Bahia hay----but it makes for sloppy lawn cover!!!
  9. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I dont even start mowing weekly on Bahia until June. Most with no sprinklers have Bahia.