Florida Palm Trees

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Ground Effects Landscape, Apr 19, 2010.

1. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Interestingly the dioon cycads seem immune to the cycad scale. They are the only ones remaining in the Miami area. Some sagos have survived in the keys unaffected by scale, just as some coconuts escaped lethal yellowing in the 70's.

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I like the Canary Island Date palm or the Paurotis palm.

3. Gator Landscaping

Gator Landscaping LawnSite Member

I like the Paurotis Palms too, but we don't have them around here. I think they are only way down there in South Florida. Where city are you in?

4. ChrisRich

ChrisRich LawnSite Member

Man I love palms. They look so good to me, especially on properties with the terracotta roofs.

If I could I'd sneak at least one palm into each job I would.

I guess should move to Mexico.. ? ;)

5. BearWise Landscapers

BearWise Landscapers LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.

I saw an interesting palm tree the other day and did not know what it was. I'll try to take a picture and post it on here. How many different palm trees are there in Florida?

6. Gator Landscaping

Gator Landscaping LawnSite Member

I saw a huge cycad the other day. Does anybody else have large palm trees on the properties they maintain?

7. Not to be a jerk, but those palms are overpruned.....mainly the Phoenix and Queens. Does the customer ask for that?

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Its so annoying when your finished with a palm and the customer wants more chopped off. I walked away from a few palm jobs where the customer wanted the "hurricane cut" to their palms.

Gator I'm located in the Tampa Bay Area.

9. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally don't care for Queen palms but I like the Washingtonians. Everything looks good though.

10. Any customer I have done palms for has let me decide what to cut off. According to the experts, you should only cut off dead fronds. I will not trim a palm for someone who wants the hurricane cut and I would probably turn them down if they want anything more than dead stuff taking off unless it is on the house, halfway dead,etc.

By only removing dead stuff and fruit, palm trees look really nice, even Queens. People that want the hurricane cut are uneducated on palms and think it's the right way b/c most "landscapers" and "tree guys" are doing it. If you ask them why they do it, they probably couldn't give you an educated answer to back it up.