Florida Panhandle grasses

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Jun 29, 2002.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm considering a move to the Pensacola/Panhandle area and starting another business (on a very small level, part-time as part of my semi-retirement) there mowing lawns. I know the grasses used here in Atlanta(Fescue, Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipede) backwards and forwards. My questions are for pros in this part of Florida.

1. What grasses are most common? Bermuda? St. Augustine?
    2. What is the typical growing season for these grasses? Is it growing full speed in March or just a little? A guide to how often you mow a particular property would be a huge help.
    3. What is the market like? I get about $30 for simple residential lawns that require a half hour on-site with a Lazer Z rider here. Is that comparable?
    4. What mowers do you use and do you usually have to catch clippings on St. Augustine? (I almost always do on Bermuda here, for appearance reasons)
    5. How is the labor market? Can you find seasonal or part time help that is legal and speaks english? Here in north Atlanta the college kids are usually those of yuppies and wouldn't dream of sweating for a living.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.