Florida storm work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PROCUT1, Aug 20, 2004.

1. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Just curious? When there is a disaster like what just happened in Florida, what is the demand for work down there?

I hear a lot of talk from tree guys, landscapers ...etc.... That have the Idea to go to these areas to make some quick work?

So my question is.....Do contractors really flock to these areas after a big storm. Im assuming resources would be tight in those areas at a time like this.....

How about guys loading up a trailer full of chainsaws or generators and going down? Im sure its pretty hard to buy a chain let alone a chainsaw now...

Dont get the wrong idea here...Im not talking about taking advantage of people during a disaster or scalping anybody.....Im just curious if this occurs with legitimate reputable respectable business..

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I stay home it's bad enough ya have to deal to many contractors here to have to go there for the same thing.

NO WAY!

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Not trying to start anything, but your ny plates on your truck wont help make you look like your trying to help out. There is also a price goudging law that says you cant charge any more than you would under norman circumstances.

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

First , you would have to get a business license or contractors license for Florida, then you have to get there and find a place to sleep and safe enough to keep the tools. Do you have employees? You think they will travel and live in a hotel for regular wages? Now you will have to advertise or go door to door , You live in New York, would you hire someone from out of state that you dont know. I remember after Huricane Andrew , my roomate was hired by FEMA to haul debris with his 18 wheeler , he made good , not great money. He had to sleep in the sleeper for 2 months, the locals were vandalizing out of state trucks , because they wanted the work.

People will be flocking there from other areas of Florida , its a big state and only a small portion was affected. There are contractors that specialize in storm damage, they follow the news and when a storm is predicted they line up all the licenses for the area before hand, they even get local phone numbers a week or 2 in advance. Then they hit the area with salesmen , thats all, they get the jobs and sub them out to who ever they can get. They are called "stormchasers" they go after insurance work
    The salesman and the companies make killer money. But this is their business they know the ins and outs .

5. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you are comming to Florida,it is just like all the other post have said. They "police" are going truck too truck asking for all paper work, searching lawn guys trucks for chain saws, then they want too see insurance paper that says that you can use and are covered for this type of work.

I was mowing some of my regular weekly yards in WinterSprings when the "man" rolled up and said do you have a licenses, and the next question was break them out , so i did. no chainsaw i don't do trees.............................

But we have a lot of contract tree guys down here for the local power company called progress energey, they are staying over at town center mall , the sleepin the old shoe store.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :cool2: :cool2:

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't go to the hurricane damaged area. The only problem there is that there is anything left. They needed a slow moving cat 5 to clean out that part of the state.

That area has the Wal-Mart mentality and anything brought into the area had better not be priced higher than Wal-Mart. I took a load of Mitsubishi generators into the area and the local and county law enforcement ran me out for price gouging. They said a 5800 watt generator should not sell for more than 700 dollars and offered to arrest me an divide up my inventory among the deputies like they did after hurricane Andrew. I should have known better since they had run 2 other dealers out for the same reason. The emergency management team in the area checked me out when I arrived and approved of the product, my paperwork and price of the generators. I was selling the generators 20% below MFG list price but the deputies who confronted me accused me of making up the prices and would not believe the price list had been faxed from Mitsubishi.

When I arrived there was not a generator for sale in a 2 county area and they were waiting for Wal-Mart to get in more 600 dollar generators.

The local law enforcement is making the rules as they go and there is no way to reason with them.

Let them dig their own way out.

Oldtimer

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

sEEMS TO MAKE SENSE

8. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I just recently got back from the Frost Proof-Lake Wales area. Me and 10 other guys from my church went and helped dry in houses. What an awesome experience.

9. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I live 30 miles east of Arcadia, been working 12 to 14 hours per day trying to clean up after the storm. We have about 2 out of town tree guys running around, the rest of us can't keep up with the amount of clean up required. And Oldtimer in my little town the were selling Honda 2500 watt generators for $700 bucks, now that is a rip off.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Just another example of the total lack of knowledge to anything that he can't buy at Wal-Mart.

If a 5000 watt, bottom of the line, throw-away generator sells for 600 then a 2500 watt should sell for 250, no matter what brand.

The same people who thought 2133.00 for a Mitsubishi 5800 watt with all the bells and whistles was only worth 700.00.

A 2500 watt Honda economy generator can be purchased on
    E-Bay for 665 plus shipping so 700 is certainly a fair price.

Oldtimer