Florida Tree Hugger's Ban Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Ric, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

The Town of North Port, Florida has passed a Law effective now.

No Nitrogen or Phosphate Fertilizer of any kind may be applied between June 1st and Sept 30 to any turf.

I guess it is time to go in the plastic turf business:dizzy:

PS. I have no accounts in the city of North Port but look for the idiots to start a domino effect.

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

The idiots will repeal it when their chit goes brown.

I hope.

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

That is the way of the world now. Just ban it and make more laws.

On another note, Sta-green (The stuff a lot of guys here bought pallets of because Lowe's blew it out) has changed its formulation to not include any Phosphates.

I grabbed a few of the left over bags of weed/feed for $3.00 a bag and I will use them in my yard for the next couple of years in the fall and early spring.

Anyway, I wonder if they dropped the phosphate because of these laws or because they know we don't really need it here?

Ric,

Have you used just K in the heat of summer? There is a nursery that sells a 0-0-8 with micros for summer use.

4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

what about organics are they banned or does it specify synthetic fert. I would just apply corn meal and some of the other meals as a source of N and then use control products and charge big bucks.

5. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

Absolutely nuts!

There are many other counties looking at doing this throughout the state.

I can see staying off of the phosphorus applications as most areas in our state have sufficient amounts in the soil occuring naturally. Our regular turf program is phosphorus free.

I guess they will be able to throw out a good portion of the HOA's by-laws related to keeping up your St. Augustine lawns, since most of the lawns will go to crap with NO nitrogen for 4 months.

Hope the wacko's stay out of our area of the state.

6. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

At a FL Roundup license class in Oct. the extension agent and Ag inspector were talking about upcoming state requirements for limiting N and/or P and application metering/documentation of rates per 1000. I did a search of the state sites at the time but didn't come up with much.

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Good idea. I don't care where customers live. They still want to keep up with the Jones's. Hey Ric, Start your own "Domino effect" and clean up on new aacounts

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Roc said "of any kind". That by definition would include corn gluten meal. Worm castings. I wonder it there is a loophole though. Who is going to know if you bring in some top dressing that has fert in it? Would treated top dressing be considered a fertilizer?

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whitey

Unlike many people here, You can Read and Understand:clapping:

Yes all Forms of N & P. BTW that includes the Tree Hugger Junk for those too foolish to understand that elements are elements no matter what form they take.

Talking with the state employee who told e about the ban, He doesnt agree with it and said he and the U of F fought with the City of North Port to make it a more realist law. He also said St Johns County has a similar law and can't enforce it. But North Port has always been a Up Tight Community and is the only Interstate Hwy Speed trap in the country list by the AAA. To cut grass in North Port you need only a Occupational license for $ 17.00. But to trim Shrubs you need a City license for $100.00 and Workman's comp and liability insurance as well as their test for a certificate from them. Needless to say no one wants to do work there legally and pay the $100.00. In the case of Pesticide Companies they can not over ride the state and charge a license fee. They do request that Pesticide Companies register with them and I have basically told them to pound salt. They have more stupid laws than a Christmas Turkey and I try and stay away from that town like the plague.

10. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

You got one hell of a county up there ric..some people have there head in there ass...