Florida Workers' Comp Exemption Information for LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grits, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Thought I would share this information. This is for Florida.

First thing to do is call NCCI at 800-622-4123.
    Ask for your "Risk Class Code". They will ask you some questions to determine what your code is.

After you get your code, call the Division of Workers' Compensation at 850-413-1609. Give them your code. They will ask some questions and determine your exemption status. In a few days you will receive your certificate of exemption.

In my specific case, I don't have to carry Workers' Compensation coverage unless I have 4 or more employees and I do not count. Each case is probably different.

Thought this was useful info that should be passed on. It only took a couple minutes on the phone and it was quite painless.

2. Grits

from Florida

bumpity bump

3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah my state is the same way.

Although I have to carry workers comp, even though I am solo to do work for any state licensed contractor. It covers no one, yet i still have to pay 600 per year for a workers comp certificate. Needless to say Contractors get higher prices than other customers.

4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

What does all this mean. How does it help me.............

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah i thought it was 3 employees not including the owner. It works out if your only working Res. but most commercials will require you to have them, if they are operated by a seasoned owner or property manager.

6. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Hey Grits are you registred as a LLC? Can this be done without being registered that way. I am just licensed as a sole propieter no employees. Thanks

7. GC Lawns

GC Lawns LawnSite Member

What makes you an LLC company? Is it something you just choose or is it certain qualifications?

8. Grits

from Florida

Yes, I am an LLC. But you should be able to do the same as a sole prop.

9. Grits

from Florida

My accountant set it up. It is something you choose.

10. Grits

from Florida

This information may or may not help YOU. But it will help some people. I just listed the info, you can use it or not. But if you have an employee and don't have Workers' Comp. coverage, you had better get the exemption certificate. I don't know what the fines are, but I am sure it wouldn't be cheap.