Florida ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jphag, Sep 22, 2004.

1. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Do you aerate in the state and why. There isn't any clay in the soil is there?
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What is soil????????? We have a sand dirt mix. Im in clearwater, and we dont arate...I cant even spell it.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

LOL John... I thought we went through this already?

What kind of aerator is it? I'm looking for one.. maybe you can drop it off to me on your way down there.
  4. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Your right we did go over this already but I haven't got much of a response. It is a turfco aerator. Great condition but I may have a local buyer if I decide to sell. Thanks for the response.
  5. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Dosen't any one on this site live in Florida?
  6. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I live in north Florida and we have plenty of clay, several of my accounts have the small amount of soil that's around the grass roots and the rest is hard clay. You should see the area when it rain and it rains a lot. no where for it to go. So yes we have clay in Florida. :)
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Florida has clay but your new home of Daytona does not. Aeration would still help some people because we still get compaction. It is more from dopes driving on their lawn when it is wet and things like that. No where near what happens in clay soils up north.

I offered it as a service and not one nibble all year. Not thta I have been pushing it. But I don't think the natives have any idea of what it is.

my suggestion is to sell it if you can get a decent return.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, your going to daytona. They raced there on the beach, on sand, because thats all there is there. I would try to sell that areator thingy while you still can. By the way, you will love it here, gets hot but there is ac. Im from WI and would never ever move back.
  9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have a place in S. Daytona. Down the street is a farmer's marketplace. They sell composted loam. They have a MOUNTAIN of it. It only lasts for a month, then they bring in a new supply. People are having it delivered and spread, with new St. Augustine sod layed over it. What a site to see in 2 months. Beautiful lawns. Of course the old lawn is simple sand and St. Augustine. Shabby looking, at the least. After the last 2 months of Florida hurricanes, I can only wonder what happened to the composted loam after the rain and flooding. I get to go back this November and personally find out.
  10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Not much demand for areation in most of Florida on St.Augustine. Golf courses do it on a regular basis, but only on the Bermuda grasses. Soil compaction on sandy soil doesn't seem to be a problem here, so I'm inclined to believe that's the reason for no demand for the service.