1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

flourescent yellow grass...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jason Rose, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm at a loss guys... The turf is fescue and is healthy and has been fertilized, we even have had rain in the last week! BUT. There are patches, some nearly 15 to 20 feet around that are this floruesent yellow color. I tried to take some pics with my camera but none of them really turned out well enough to hsow what I'm talking about. The last 3 apps of fert have been Lesco's 24-0-11 that has 2% Fe. Most of the lawns this happens in are in sandy soil. Is this simply an Iron problem??? I am actually getting complaints, plus it makes me sick to see this... Some of it I know is due to too much water, but there's not much that can be done about that. You either over water some spots or other spots dry up and die...

I'm really thinking aobut buying some iron and spreading it over the yellow areas and hoping it helps...

2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it may be rust?

Is there a orange dust that will collect on your boots when you walk though it?
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Humm, no there is no orange dust, or anything orange at all that I can see. The grass appears perfect in growth and everything, it's just BRIGHT yellow in spots.
  4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

The last service call I had for flourescent grass turned out to be crabgrass?

Are you sure the yellow areas are not a different grass variety?

I would use a soil probe to determine soil depth. ie hard pan,compaction etc.

Would like to hear the outcome.

Good luck,

5. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

Look up Poa Trivialis....I believe you will find what your looking for!
  6. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do Pao and flourescent yellow not seem to go together for me?
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i've seen the same thing, but not on my own lawns, just some neighbors of my clients. i thought it was bad fertilizer or something. these are strands of it, not neccesarily patches
  8. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I actually would not overlook nitrogen induced chlorosis. You pointed out the product you used, but not the rate or whether any of it was sulfur/poly coated. Coupled with overwatering, if you applied over, say, 1.5 lbs of actual N per 1000, you may be forcing vegetative growth that is outstripping the roots ability to provide for the increased leaf blade. Would you say that the areas that are discolored are very long each week?
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member