flow charts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by woodlawnservice, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

There is a friction loss co-efficient for every fitting, though for dinky pipe systems (1 1/4" and under) I never bothered with it. I did deduct the backflow and master valve, as well as the flow sensor. Then (adhering to the 5' a second rule) I deducted the pipe run. I then deleted one head from the zone if there were low-drain check valves ; just to keep me honest. :waving:

2. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Oh id love to but Frankly nobody around here even does that anymore? Not sure why.... I don't even know who to begin to call to dig! And I'm on top of a shale hill so to speek... probably b pretty deep well.... what's good rule of thumb for pressure loss on 1" PVC... id love for this system to be all 1". Valves and all...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Mike Leary

1" for main and 3/4" for laterals is fine. For 1" sch 40 pipe, you can cram 12 gpm through it. For sch 40 3/4", 7 gpm. I would not use any pvc pipe other than schedule 40.

4. woodlawnservice

Yea ob those long of runs no way in my ground will I use class 200. We don't pull poly here either so sch. 40 is the norm... yea 1" is just to small I'm afraid to get enough heads per zone like I want with the output so I'm not running water all night long....
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

For a ten thousand dollar savings in water bills, you drill the well.

6. Mike Leary

A lot of States will not permit a well if you have a potable supply line within xxxx of the premises.

7. woodlawnservice

I believe we can drill Wells. Just not forsure where to even begin.but still I've got to determine how much flow I can get out of this 1" supply line so I can properly design this long run of 400ft.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Mike Leary

You will lose 15 pounds in a 400' run with sch 40. Then you've got to deduct the backflow, etc. With water bills being what they are, a well, over the years, should be considered.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you have the well, your water expenses are less than a well-water-dime to a city-water dollar. Many seasons ago, I calculated the cost of one purveyor's water as going for a thousand dollars per acre of lawn, in a dry summer.

10. woodlawnservice

Wouldn't take long to pay for itself.... ill make some phone calls and find out who does this around this area.... maybe he will have an estimate of how deep a well will have to be for my location.
    Posted via Mobile Device