flow charts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by woodlawnservice, Feb 23, 2013.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

True.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

5000 and PGP s throwing 40 ft require about 3.5 gpm per head.

Mainline @ 22 gpm = 1.25 sched 40 / 4.85 fps / 2.45 psi.

1.5 sched 40 / 3.55 fps / 1.37 psi.

2.0 sched 40 / 2.14 fps / .40 psi.

Meter will provide 36 gpm in the safe zone.

I left out valves/MV/BFA since you didn't specify models.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of Oklahoma acres in full sunlight will be pretty thirsty. Could be working with a 1-1/2 inch backflow preventer and a 2-inch mainline, with 1-1/2 inch zone valves.

4. woodlawnservice

Oh don't tell me that! Lol that mean this will cost a small fortune... yes its Oklahoma sun. Bermuda grass...probably just some hunter pgv valves, febco backflow... not really set in stone
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Wet_Boots

that well is looking better and better every moment payup

6. woodlawnservice

Yes it is :) I will make some calls tomorrow... if I'm not mistaken can't the hunter pgv 1" handle about 30 gpm? If that's the case and I can push enough water down the laterals.. sure be a lot cheaper than stepping up to 1.5" valves and line.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Wet_Boots

Nope. The only one-inch valve that could handle 30+ gpm without a hint of issues is long discontinued. (and it was really a 1-1/2 inch valve with one-inch connections) You don't get to cheap out here.

Just because you can read a number from a chart doesn't mean everything will work smoothly at the conditions given. Beyond 20-25 gpm, a one-inch zone valve is liable to shut off with a thump. On a 400-foot mainline, thump can turn to BANG.

8. woodlawnservice

The irritrols is what I remember being able.to handle 30 I think.... I believe they still.make.them? Ill have to check.but reguardless like u say the hammer effect comes in again
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Wet_Boots

the Irritrol name is on a valve developed by Hardie with a special geometry for a more straight-through flow, and it has low pressure losses, but the water is still flowing very fast at 30+ gpm (BANG), and anyway, that valve is just as expensive as a more conventional 1-1/2 inch valve.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Correct and educate me if i am wrong Shoes but if the OP has an in field demand of 22gpm and addresses the velocity and pressure loss by using 2 in pipe 2.14/.40 won't the risk of hammer also be reduced?
    Posted via Mobile Device