Flow from 1" copper............

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mjstef, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If it's copper out of the wellhead, then go to it and tie in with waterworks tee and curb stop. Is the "1-1/2 inch main line" the drop pipe to the pump?

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I would do exactly what the OP plans to do. Tap the well in the basement.Its the norm and keeps folks from wandering aimlessly looking for componants.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It probably works that way, too, on an acre-plus.

Very first thing to do is an extended flow test. With only 50 feet of water above the pump, one has to consider the possibility of running dry.

Minimizing heads and lines will take higher pressure than you'd want in the house, so it might need a PRV between the pressure tank and the house plumbing, after you change the pressure switch and tank precharge.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Correct. I had recommended that to my neighbor the other day.Pressure was medicore , but his concern was house pressure.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Thing I would not do if I was the OP is stretch it to the max. As boots says do a real flow test. Get rid of all storage and see what the well is actualy producing.

6. mjstef

mjstef LawnSite Member

Done with the install. Got 3 zones between 16.8 & 17.2 gallons a minute per zone. When running pressure hangs between 44 and 48# depending on the zone. Now we know 1" copper will flow AT LEAST 17.2 GPM. Let each zone run for an hour back to back and had no issues. Thanks for the help!!!

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Wha'd you use for heads and nozzles?

8. mjstef

mjstef LawnSite Member

Running MP rotators in 4 inch hunter bodies.....

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

So, no one follows the five-foot a second rule anymore? :dizzy:

10. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Apparently not?

Everyone knows you can flow more water through various pipe types and sizes with specified velocities, but most do not realize the design parameters are to prevent LONG TERM failures.

I keep saying this, but nobody seems to respect the "Professional and Educated Irrigator". LOL