flow gauge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by onebreezer, Nov 16, 2010.

1. onebreezer

onebreezer LawnSite Member

I am looking for a gauge to measure rate of flow for a lesco skid sprayer. We think we are using too much volume on aps. I know that we can measure with a bucked and a timer. But can anyone recommend a flow meter?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Onebreezer

A flow meter is the last thing you need for calibration. A measuring wheel, Stop Watch, Graduated measuring device, and the ability to do 6th grade math is all you need. You must be lacky the last item.

3. onebreezer

That's why I rarely post a question. I posted that I understand I can run water into a five gal bucket and time it, do the math and calculate. However a flow gauge will do it and constantly, accuratly measure flow. Does anyone have any productive advice.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

onebreezer

Since no one else in our industry uses or calibrates with a Flow Meter you must of come up with something new. I suggest you patent the idea and get a university grant to promote the use of Flow meters.

In Edit:

I used to teach Materials Calculations at a Florida State College so I would like to think I know what I am talking about.

5. onebreezer

Ok I see that Lesco makes a flow gauge for thier sprayers. I'll give my local guys a call when they open. Personal attacks ie. lack 6th grade education is unprofessional. Either give advise or shut up.

6. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Ric makes sense, even if you don't like the way he communicates. If you find a flow meter that works well, you'd be wise to make sure it's correct which means you will have to "bucket" test it anyway. The tried and true method is pretty tried and true, I recommend you use that method. The most reliable flow meter I know of costs about $1500. Even at that price, maybe especially at that price, I'll bet you would still want to "bucket" test it to varify it's accuracy.

Neal

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What's wrong with having a flow meter? I'd rather rely on that than looking at the numbers on a 300 gallon tank or on the PG, or my backpack sprayer. Good units are expensive, but they will hold up over time if they're serviced and taken care of.

I use them for gpm and volume. For gpm it's not an exact science like Ric mentioned, but it's an easy adjustment on the pump. You can have the stopwatch, measuring wheel, measuring device and your 6th grade math. It's an easy adjustment on the fly with the meter.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Anyway I can make my work easier and more accurate I am all for it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Pumptecguy

Pumptecguy Inactive

Onebreezer:

Great Plains Industries (GPI) makes one that many folks use. It should work well for you. Make sure you install it near the gun so you can see what you are putting out. You will need to determine if the pressure or chemicals will damage this meter, however.

The bucket test is great, but with so many variables in a pumping set-up (throttle settings, hose kinks, etc...) it makes sense to have a meter nearby to monitor output. You of course will need to qualify the meter with the bucket test and adjust accordingly.

I hope this helps you.