flow through worm beds designs

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by growingdeeprootsorganicly, Aug 26, 2008.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

mites are one thing nems are another............

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I thought so, do the mights eat beneficials as well? Or is that what you said to bring a magnifying glass for?

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, sorry... MITES... wow...;)

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That Was Great Oak St

6. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Treegal, I was watching the Dem Con last night and slept in this morning (nice).

Nematodes: predatory nematodes would be the option and I am lacking in knowledge about what species would help control your bad bugs but would not continue on to kill your good bugs as well. Also, will they molest or upset the worm population? I have lots of bacterial feeding nematodes in my worms and they get along.

Someone who raises and sells nematodes may have a good idea but Robert McSorley is a world authority on nematodes and he is (or was) at the university of Florida. You may not get to him in person but try the department. I find some of these famous scientists are pretty decent about responding to emails. I even got a couple of emails from Wilhelm Foissner which is like getting a call from Albert Einstein or the Queen of England.

Let me know if I can help with some research.

Tim

7. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Bill, you may not be too far off the mark. I have been thinking of a motor home pulling a laboratory trailer and travel around a bit learning and teaching.
    But those damn fuel prices! Before I leave I need to figure out a way to amplify solar.<grin>

Tim

8. Jerilynn

Jerilynn LawnSite Member

What happened with the alfalfa meal? Did it heat up too much?