Flowable Fill

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by KPJK, Feb 7, 2008.

1. KPJK

KPJK LawnSite Member

Anyone have any thoughts about using flowable fill around a newly constructed pool. Doing a job in the spring after pool is completed 2200 square feet of pavers

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Why? what type of mess are they leaving you with!?!?

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

What exactly are you trying to use the FF for? Backfill? Base?

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

flow fill IMO would work excellent around a pool, save a huge amount of time back filling and tamping only to not get full compaction in the end. it would give excellent compaction around all of the plumbing that is hard to do with mechanical compaction. my only concern is if there is a problem with the plumbing, it would be hard to tell if it is encased in flowfill and hard to excavate to get to it. it is not impossible, but not easy either in such a tight area. as long as your are confident that the plumbing has all been pressure tested and working fine i would do it. this aleaves the liability of you breaking something tamping over the plumbing too.

5. KPJK

KPJK LawnSite Member

Rusk looking to use it for base. Pool Contractor is responsible for backfill and compaction. And they are installing the coping.

6. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

its not intended for a base for your pavres. it is a fill material used to replace the need for compacting ur back fill.

i would be wary of the pool guys "backfill and compaction". more like push the soil and anything else(sod, 2x4, pvc, lawn furniture) into the over dig and maybe run a compactor over it. you would be much better off asking if you can take care of the back fill. in fact i would insist that you are responsible for the back fill. i dont care what he says, he does not lay pavers for a living and is not responsible for you pavers settling. once its in there you dont know what is going on underneath.

7. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

Wouldn't you be better off using a rigid concrete base next to the pool because of the compaction issue around the pool wall.

Flowable fill seems more appropriate for deep raised patios.

Just thinking out loud

8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Go get some ADS solid drainpipe and slit it lengthwise. Place it over the pumbing you wish to protect. Add the flow-fill. If you need to replace the plumbing, you can slide the pipes in/out of the sleeve.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

What type of pool is it?

10. KPJK

KPJK LawnSite Member

Its a concrete pool