Flowable Fill

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 99SDPSD, Jan 30, 2002.

1. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD LawnSite Member

Has anyone used Flowable Fill for retaining wall base? I went to the Ideal Company paver/ wall class today. It sounds like it will save alot od time.

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

What the hell is flowable fill? i never even heard of it... we use 3/4 crushed stone for our wall projects.

3. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

never heard of it until you mentioned it. Looked it up on the web and it is interesting but I would need a lot more imformation before I would commit myself to using it. Sounds like a neat concept but one of the web sites says it does not resist freezing and thawing, but if it does disinegrate it will act like a granular base. Like to see it first

4. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

here's a link to some info on Flowable fill , sounds nifty if the price is right.

5. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

its sand and fly ash and is used to fill pipe ditches in a road. never seen it used any other way . cost to much but saves pipecrews a lot of time so they can let the traffic back in the lanes there working in .

6. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

Anyone that has attended seminars put on by manufactures has heard that the proper backfill with the proper compaction is the key element in determining weather a wall will suceed or fail. A flowable type of backfill sounds like wet silt/clay to me which is something that is very unstable. Materials like this is what cause walls to fail. A angular type of 3/4" clear rock is what is normally recommended for the back fill imediatly behind the wall. This type of material compacts well and does not hold water so you lesson the forces of hydrostatic presure behind the wall. Before using new products you should research them and follow the recommended installation procedures from the manufacturer, it will be your butt getting chewed when the wall fails due to inappriate materials used in construction. Better yet get an engineer to design and stamp the wall construction.

7. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Matt- Agreed BUT.......

The question was posed for a suitable material to build a wall upon not for use as a backfill behind the wall...... inital investigation of a product marketed as "flowable fill" indicates the possibility may be there....jury is still out on the economic viablity.

8. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

diginahole,
    sorry I didn't see that it was intended for base material. i'm sure that we are going to see more new materials offered in the future for all landscape projects, as long as they are researched and used according to specs i don't see a problem with them.

9. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

AHHHHHHH FINALLY,

As so many of you have answered many questions for me and helped me, here is my first chance to help someone else out!!!!!!

I drive a cement truck for my full time job and haul alot of flowable fill so I know some stuff about it...

Flowable Fill is just what it says: its very very wet and the ingrediants consist of flyash,sand and portland cement(very little of this)Its wet and I mean like soup wet so it will flow(hence the name)

Now your thinking becasue it has portland cement it will be strong. good guess but no, all the cement does is make the fill turn into a clay like substance but in most cases it is weaker than clay and still shapes easy with a shovel even after it had set.

It is usually used to fill old sewer lines pipes or to even hold pipes in place for temporary placement and other things.

Now since you are building a retaining wall and what you retaining and what the strength of the wall has to be I do not know. I would reccomend using a concrete foundation(footing of at least 3000 psi that should do the trick. I have poured many home foundations and basement walls using 3000p.s.i. mix which is very strong. Just to let tell how strong the 3000 mix is they only use 4000 psi to build 10 story buildings around here..

I think I got a little carried away here with my reply and I hoped it helped you out.

feel free to ask me any more ? I will try to answer all

:D :blob4:

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

On this one guys ( I've checked it out some) if you do use it make sure it has enough portland in it, from what I've heard from the suppliers here it might not make the 2500 lbs sq foot support minimun thats needed for wall building. Also make sure your toe support is there because it will move if the toe fails.