1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Flower Bed estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Baytownlawncare, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Baytownlawncare

Baytownlawncare LawnSite Member

I have a lady at my church that needs many flower beds re-mulched at her house. I figured about 6.5 to 7 cubic yards of mulch to put down 3 inches in all her beds. The quote I got for mulch and delivery is about $250. I figure this will take 1 day and maybe half another to spread it. How much labor would you guys charge. I am figuring about $250 for sure maybe more. All input would be good!

2. GainesvilleLawnscaping

GainesvilleLawnscaping LawnSite Member

We charge $45/yd installed here, but I'm only paying $20/yd for the mulch including delivery. Figure about 1 hour to install 1 yard.

3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually get the bags by the pallet loaded on my truck. This saves in delivery cost. Then I double the cost give or take per bag per job. I like bag mulch because I dont have a mess to clean up on the driveway and if I have bags left over I can return them or take them to my house for mulch. Usually home depot will run a special in my area around spring for all bag mulch half price. Big savings$$$

4. Baytownlawncare

Baytownlawncare LawnSite Member

Well I told the lady a price of $500 and she had sticker shock. She told me we would have to wait or do a few beds at a time. The ball is in her court now so I will wait and see what she wants done or not done. I personally could not believe the cost either.

5. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that's outrageous at all, my rate is $80 per yard installed. If you figured 6 to 7 yards then I think you're in the right range.

6. tree_hugger

tree_hugger LawnSite Senior Member

i charge $75/yd and you must be working solo because if it took me a day and a half to do this job i would quit the business. get 2 guys to help and you can be done in 4 hrs. one guy filling up wheel barrows, one guy dumping the wheel barrows, and one guy spreading.

7. MMADDUX

MMADDUX LawnSite Member

I'll second this, he is exactly right.

me and 2 of my guys will do 10 yards in about 3 hours or a little more depending on how much stuff there is to mulch around.

Also why do you need your mulch 3 inches deep for flower beds?
    If you mulch once a year you don't need that much.