flower bed maintenence

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cjohns05, Feb 28, 2009.

1. cjohns05

cjohns05 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to clean out there beds and remulch. they want to me put down preen but i was wondering if it would be better just to lay down fabric since the bed will be cleaned out.

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I do both on beds if I can the fabric is nice but weeds can still come up in the mulch on top of fabric.

3. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

fabric sucks and so does Preen...
    for sh1ts and giggles I loaded up my OWN flower beds (fabric from new construction) with a ton of Preen... guess what? Weeds still grew....

If the customer wants Preen, put it down.... but I never had any luck with it... OR fabric

4. cjohns05

cjohns05 LawnSite Member

i know the weeds will still grow with fabric but it is alot easier to pull out.

5. Horizon Lawn

Horizon Lawn LawnSite Member

use the preen it will prevent weeds that havent germinated from coming up but it will not get the ones that have already germinated. If you use a good mulch that will take care of alot of the weed issues. If you use cheap wood chip mulch then yes weeds will grow like crazy. If you use a good high quality mulch that has been turned properly you wont have as many weed issues with the oones that have germinated the mulch will kill them.

6. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I think fabric is a waste under mulch, and preen....who knows

7. afg

afg LawnSite Member
    from TN

preen sucks.... snapshot.

8. Horizon Lawn

Horizon Lawn LawnSite Member

snapshot does work better than preen but it is alittle pricey.

9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Fabric is unnecessary under mulch or stone, unless it is a pathway. It will trap soil and seeds and weeds will grow on it, perennial weeds can still grow under it.

Preen will stop annual weed seeds from sprouting, but still cannot stop perennial weeds.

Snapshot has two chemicals in it that allows it to prevent annual weeds from sprouting but also kills most perennial weeds.

Proper bed preparation and sustainable, organic mulching practices will control the majority of weeds and continue to feed the soil as it decomposes.

Kirk

10. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

fabric is a PITA in the long run... preen sucks...