Flower Bed Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by All Season Lawn Care, Feb 9, 2008.

1. All Season Lawn Care

All Season Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have to bid on a few comercial accounts and I was wondering what everyone uses the keep the weeds out of the flower beds with out killing any of the flowers or having the grass die around them?

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

For dedicated annual beds you frequently see at commercial sites, hand weeding is the only way to go.

3. All Season Lawn Care

All Season Lawn Care LawnSite Member

thanks....any other ways besides by hand anything you can spread or spray the beds with?

4. brownsallseasonlandscape

brownsallseasonlandscape LawnSite Member

When we do our spring mulching we spread a product called snapshot we buy it through lesco it seams buy us some time.

5. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

When we do our spring mulching we spread a product called snapshot we buy it through lesco it seams buy us some time.

This works well in the general landscaping, not so much for true "Annual Plantings". Snap shot in annual beds will have a negative result on any future plantings (poor rooting, etc).

The best way to control weeds in annual beds is simply to perform a quick manual weeding every 2 weeks or so. You can also use a hoe or some form of it to help pulling the weeds more quickly when you first plant them.

There are some companies that use chemicals with decent results around here, but annuals are so tender and sensitive that I simply choose not to risk it.

GOOD LUCK!!

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

what I have found that works well when spraying is not a option is to use a small paint brush and some roundup in a bowl then go around and paint the weeds. This works really well when drifting may pose a problem to other close plantings.

7. brownsallseasonlandscape

Hey thanks tscapes I had over looked the annual beds we dont do a lot of those.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Plant the flowers so close together that the weeds don't stand a chance :laugh: They never see the light of day.

9. brownsallseasonlandscape

A little water about twice a week with some liquid fert doesn't t hurt the shade issue the bigger and healthier they are the thicker they are.

10. greenazkeeper

greenazkeeper LawnSite Member

What type of plant would you plant in cement pots under someones porch. Some that look good but do not need any sunlight?