Flower beds for Commercial property

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobdaduke, Feb 12, 2006.

1. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

I have to prepare a bid with a flower bed area of 675 sq ft. How do I figure how many flowers I need. A flat contains 18 - 4" annuals. Hope someone can help.
  2. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

It all depends on what you're gonna put in there. Having some knowledge of how things size up when mature would go a long way on this one. How long have you been doing annuals installations?

La. Landscape Contractor #2576
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

... I would love to help you on this one..but I really think you can fiqure this simple problem out without much effort all by yourself.
  4. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

sheshovel, your lots of help, keep up the good work
  5. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

What kind of plants are you going to be installing? Find out the mature size for the plants and then take that size put it into your total square footage and that should give you the amount you will need.

6. sheshovel

Sorry bobaduck but it's the only way for you to learn is to try figuring things out on your own 1st.Now do that then give me your ansewr and I will tell you if you are in the ballpark with your answer.I don't believe it is good for someone to use other peoples brains instead of trying to figure it out for themselves 1st.Trust me on this it is better in the long run.Now what total did you come up with?
  7. sheshovel

I would say at least 600 plants .
  8. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Based on the rough description given, depending on what else is in the bed, signage,perennials etc.. I would say 675 again like sheshovel said .....
  9. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what you are using for your annuals. Things like wave petunias, lantana, and other creeping annuals take up lots of space and need to be planted further apart than normal 4". On average, we space things out at 6". That means in your bed of 675 square feet, you would x2 equalling 1350 4" plants (75 flats). Keep in mind that certain plants, you can utilize 606's or "cell packs" and use less flats as long as they are the same size as the 4". There is a lot to take into consideration in annual plantings.

One bed that is 675 sq.ft is awfully big! If possible, I would incorporate something that could eat up the square footage. For instance, purple fountain grass, cannas, elephant ears, palms, or other tropical/indoor plants and perennials. It is really dependant upon what effect you are going for, budget constraints, etc. Is this a highly visible bed? Are you simply going for color (ie; road side visibility)? One could plant larger pots, 6-8" pots of wave petunias or verbena and cover the same amount of area as several flats.
  10. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the whole purpose of this site then???:dizzy: :dizzy: I thought is was a good place to learn. Apparently, you never posted a question on this site being the scholar you are.