Flower help Please!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jsf343, Apr 5, 2007.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Not sure if this is the exact area this thread should go for this question, but I really need some help. I have a large commercial account that sells exotic Italian cars. For the flower "theme" this year they are interested in having the front section of the flower bed (approx. 15 x 15) filled with flowers that are no taller the 1 maybe 2 feet tall max, arranged like the Italian flag!

Ok, I have been out of school quite a while, help me out here if I am wrong. Colors are green, white, and red yes? What flowers can I use for something like this? I don't know of very many green flowers. They really need to fit together the best that they can.

the specifics are full sun, there is a sprinkler system. average temps 70's to a few days of 90's usually. They would need to be able to bloom most of the summer. Help!!! if you guys can't help me with this then nobody can.

thanks in advance,

Jeff

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was rich foliage, couldn't you have the leaves act as the green? Does arctostaphylos uva-ursi grow in OR? That'll stay in a pretty low mat (I think 4-12" depending on variety) that'll work with the flowers and can handle the sun.

Dave

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

For the green you will probably need to use a small ornamental evergreen with low growth, this will not flower but green flowers are pretty much oxymorons.

As for the other colors either use annuals or perennials, these will come in the colors you need while having little growth.

4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

5. jsf343

wow, those are good ideas guys. I don't like the moldy millers though for the white part. (dusty miller) Would like to find some kind of flower.

6. thilawncare

thilawncare LawnSite Member

White: Petunia x hybrida 'Wave' Love Sun and will spread...
    Red: Annual Salvia
    Both Annuals will need to be fertilized every 10 days or so to continue vigorous flowers all summer, but they are both ever flowering... there is also a red version of Wave petunia if you would like to use just one plant variety.
    With the Wave you get a lot less dead heading because the flowers are replaced with 3 more.. i think they are great plants....
    Green: use Bishop's Weed or some sort of green ground cover... If you use Bishop's Weed make sure to put some sort of barrier between it and the other colors so that it doesnt spead to far and choke out the other plants..

7. jsf343

I was thinking along the same lines for the petunias, why not red petunias too? The salvia seems kind of weak or fragile. If it gets hot they don't hold up as well right?

8. jsf343

oops, sorry I didn't read that very well. You did mention the red petunias.
    fertilize every 10 days? holy cow! what about a 6 month osmicoat? (I know that is spelled wrong. sorry I went to a public school)

9. thilawncare

Yeah,
    6 month slow release would work great... depends on how much money you wanna make... LOL joking... i wasnt even thinking about a slow release i just know that petunia's take allot of fert to look bold and beautiful... LOL Plants just key my interest.

10. thilawncare

OH YEAH Flags arent Square.. so make sure when you plant that you turn it into a rectangle....maybe a nice mulch row in front and behind
    i dont know but if i had prolandscape i would draft you up somthing real quick like but i dont... or a scanner i would make a plan but nope niether... so on that tip ur SOOL.. but when you use my design you can just let me know and ill tell you where to send the check... Haha no joke....
    Oh and for Salvia.. as long as its watered and fert properly they will last all summer long... but id just use petunias... more color and will fill your area better...