Flower or Weed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by rcreff, Jul 6, 2012.

Tags:
?

Flower or Weed

1. Flower

77.8%
  2. Weed

22.2%
  1. rcreff

rcreff LawnSite Member

So, we just took over landscaping a new yard. The owners want to us to be careful of exotic flowers that look like weed. I think this is a weed but could use your expertise...

Is this a flower or weed?

IMG_1155_1.jpg

IMG_1156_1.jpg

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a Poppy. ??? One persons weed is another person flower.

3. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Correct, Isn't the definition of a weed, any species of plant that is unwanted in the area? For example, you guys up north consider Bermuda grass as a weed, My whole lawn is bermuda grass and I consider fescue a weed here.

4. rcreff

rcreff LawnSite Member

Can you identify it and would you keep it or pull it?

You all are awesome. Thanks for the help!

IMG_1152_1.jpg

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I dunno, but that first one... it looks like they FEED it, so I'd keep my distance!

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

The last one looks like some kind of lambs ear.

7. rcreff

rcreff LawnSite Member

They feed it blood and I think it sings...very funny. Took me a minute to figure out the joke. Just saw the water dish!!!

8. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. My next door neighbor has some of that in their backyard. That stuff multiplies and spreads like a weed. 3 years ago they put one tiny plant underneath a Maple in their backyard and it has completely spread around the entire base of the tree in about a 3 ft diameter.

9. Jbh0724

Jbh0724 LawnSite Member

You just need to find out if the customer wants it there. If it were my yard I would pull it. Its a weed to me but the customer may like it. Definition of a weed is something growing where it isn't wanted. Good point about the bermuda being a weed up north, but its sought after here in Georgia.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

The second one could be in the Mullein family ( Verbascum sp.) The rosette is similar to lambs ear and things like that, but the leaf structure is a bit different than the ones we grow here.

What type of soil is there? Is it sandy and course?

The flower itself leads me to think of some-thing in the Dogbane family or Hemp.