Flower Seed in a Jug

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so I'm in the local Walmart and I see this plastic jug of "flower-seed mix".. Just unscrew the cap, spread evenly along the ground and in 3-6 weeks Voila you'll have an amazing display of flowers..

Inside the jug, there was clumpy like dirt, and I guess the seeds are mixed in.. It looked more like rabbit food or something like that..

Anyone EVER use this kind of stuff? I think it would be neat to make a wild flower garden with all kinds of stuff growing in it.. BUT I don't wanna waste money on this stuff if it just is not any good..

Just looking for anyone with any experience on it at all.. Thanks.

2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

My mother used some stuff similar to that, not sure what or where she got it, but it was a sack/jug of wild flower mix. She used it to fill up a large area just like you are considering & got great results. She loved it. All sorts of stuff came up, couldn't ID them all.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

doog, y dont u just buy some annuals, this way u know what u r getting, and purchase accordingly.

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ya know, I was skeptical of this "miracle mix" of assorted seeds and stuff cause I figured hey, how good could it be for like $8.99 or whatever.. But to get a BUNCH of crazy looking flowers that ya can't even identify, that could be cool..

I'll have to check it out a little further.. ANyone else ever use stuff like that?

Bobby- Yep, I just did a whole bed of impatients.. Came out looking great I think.. I'll post a before and after pic on here tommorow after it's daylight...

Gary

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool. The exact word my Mom used to describe the results. She made awesome bouquets & did some paintings. She took some pics that turned out well too. I don't have a scanner or digital yet - wish I did I'd post for you.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes we used this for two years back behind our fence. The first year I was pretty much pleased with it. It really grew well and fast, and it gets tall. I would cut some flowers and put them in a vase for our dining room table. One thing I didn't like was when the flowers started to die come around September, they started to smell. It was a big mess to pull out, and I did not enjoy that part.
    The second year, I must have bought a different variety, because I didn't get enough vibrant colored flowers.
    Would I put it in again? Probably not, because I didn't like the cleanup that was involved pulling out all those smelly half dead very stalky flowers. And the only part Matt took in this was disposing of the trash cans that I quickly filled up.

7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, they work great. I planted a whole bunch behind the fence by the traintracks and it worked great. I really liked them.

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Having a large property, I'd love to do a wildflower planting. But those seed mixes you speak of are generally about 15% seed, so it just isn't enough seed for me. I am always tempted to put the bagger on the Gravely, and mow one of those flower patches on the Virginia highway in the fall. You know the ones, with the signs that say, "do not mow or pick." One bagger full of cosmos seeds would plant a big patch. I'll have to get a VA DOT uniform....
    Crawdad

9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Im experiencing this year with a patch on my property in front of a stone wall. My seed supplier has a New England perennial wildflower mix which has 15 or so varieties with season long color. The first year they say only foliage with a few annuals for color thrown into the mix. From the second year on, they say watch out!! I planted the seeds last weekend. I can keep you posted.

Not sure about the Wlamart stuff.

10. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

That meadow in a can stuff is a bunch of ****. Half of the flower species they contain are considered noxious weeds in many states. 75% of noxious weeds in this country were introduced by gardeners (e.g. oxeye daisy, purple loosestrife, giant hogweed, scotch broom, etc. etc.)

You're better off buying specific species of flower seed that are compatible to your area and just mixing them together.

WalMart blows anyhow.