flowerbed ideas??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by captn, Apr 24, 2008.

1. captn

captn LawnSite Member

In front of the house, I have 70 foot wide landscaped area in which I just pulled a bunch of ridiculous plants and lava rock. I put some trees, evergreens, and bushes in to green it up, and added some black mulch, but in the middle, there is a 10 foot wide, by 7 foot deep bare area that I can't decide what to do.

I know squat about flowers, and my wife would like a flowerbed. I need some creative ideas to fill the space.:hammerhead:

Pictures, species, and descriptions would be most helpful.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I know I am in Az but your summer flowers are our winter flowers here. Couple of questions does it get full sun or part shade? Is it protected from the wind or out in the open? Is the view of the bed mostly from one angle or from several like from the street and the house? Any favorite colors or color she hates? Once the bed is planted how much time are you going to commit to keep it looking good?
  3. captn

captn LawnSite Member

The House faces west, so the area is in direct sun from noon on.
    The area is adjacent to the front of the house, but there is a 180 acre farm across the street with little protection from the wind.
    The view is really only from the curb.
    As for maintenance, let's say, I'll put moderate work into it, but I aint gunna be out there all weekend, every weekend.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Plant taller plants in the back tallest $$$ Foxglove-$$ Delphinum and Larkspur these will get 4' or so. The more $$ the more they cost. $$ Iris and $ Snapdragons or Stock will give you your next level at 12"-18" read the tags because the snaps come in many heights. $$$ Geraniums are also the same size but much more impressive more of a focal point. Dont forget foliage plants for color like $ Artemesia silver foliage will spread out and get about 12" tall by2'-3' wide in one season, some type of $ grass or $ Lily The medium flowers will be your $ Petenuas big bang for the buck, $ Dianthis, $ Mariolds, $ Panseys, then your border or lower plants will be Calibricoa or Million bells, Lobillia, Alissum.

Those are the varieties I would stick with simple and not too sensitive to the cold so they will last until you get to freezing.

I like to mix both colors and textures so mix in some of the foliage plants you could also use Hostas. Solid blocks of color will make a bigger impact mixes will give you more of that English garden feel. You want taller plants in the back but you want it to look more natural not like a chorus on risers so blend the different heights somewhat.

To prep just turn the bed 6"-8" and if you have a heavy clay mix in some vermiculite. Turn it in throughout the 6"-8" then use a slow release like Osmicote on the top. Just follow the directions you will only need a 3LB bottle. I like to soak my flowers in a tray before planting. You can mix superbloom or high phosphorus fertilizer into the tray and then plant. Never plant a bone dry plant. Gently loosen the root ball when planting, don't overly compact it. You may need to deadhead about every couple of weeks depending on the varieties you choose. I apply the high phos fert every 2-3 weeks until I get the bed full. Then every 4-5 weeks. Let the flowers dry up a bit between watering if they don't dry up they will yellow.