Flowerbed Spraying

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by alpine692003, Nov 11, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to this pesticide / chemical control for flowerbeds.. How do you guys manage to keep weeds out of flowerbeds???

I have to go in 2 times a month and weed the flowerbeds at commercial sites, residential services.. Most of the weeds are like chickweeds and your common weeds that grow in flowerbeds..

What kind of pesticide would you guys use to control flowerbeds and what would I require for equipment? ie) backpack shindaiwa sprayer with weed control chemicals would be okay for startup?

How would I apply the chemical as well? Would it matter if it was raining, sunny, etc ... When's the best time to apply it as well?

Once a month? 2 times a month?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We use a product called Snapshot. It is a pre-emergent. An application will last around 2 months, depending on the weather conditions. It doesn't stop everything 100%, but it cuts it down to close to that. Also, spot spraying occasionally with glyphoste sometimes is faster than just pulling. The advantage of pulling what little comes up though, is that you are done with it, and it's out of the beds. You don't have these small dead weeds still existing in the beds. Where the glyphosate helps, is if you have a rash of grassy type weeds, or the weeds are the type that break off and leave roots.

3. alpine692003

What about the Casoron G4 granular product? What do you think of that as a pre emergent?

I know its a granular product so I can spread it with a handheld spreader or by hand and just toss it onto the flower beds right? when doing so, should I mix the casoron into the soil or just spread it on to of the soil and just leave it be and just moisten the soil.??

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Snapshot is available in granular form. It is rather expensive ($90 for 50lb) but your price may vary.

Barricade is good option if Snapshot is too pricey. The control spectrum is a bit less, however.

5. alpine692003

I know its a granular product so I can spread it with a handheld spreader or by hand and just toss it onto the flower beds right? when doing so, should I mix the casoron into the soil or just spread it on to of the soil and just leave it be and just moisten the soil.??